Chapter || Two

Bad things can happen, and often do--but they only take up a few pages of your story, and anyone can survive a few pages.

~James A. Owen

Watch the trailer to the side :)

...

The new couple who had joined our table chatted amiably with Theo since they were clients of his. I sat next to him with no words to speak as for I had nothing to say. An outsider trying to fit into the world that she just didn't belong to. I had tried my whole life to be perfect for my parents and the world around me that I took no second look at those who I was trying to impress. I never acknowledged that I was the black sheep in a heard of all perfect and pristine white ones. My thoughts and ideas of what was good never clashed well with theirs.

Even my mother hated all that I chose in life. When I had decided I wanted to become a children's doctor and travel to third world countries in need she thought me a mad woman. She was the old style type of mother who wanted to see her daughter married to a rich man and not have to work, instead tend to her home and children. She still believed that and made it her goal to make that happen.

After the divorce was finally announced I had told myself I would finish my studies and move out and find my own place, but my mother had other decisions. She cut my tuition funds and said if I were to move out I would never be able to finish. My father had been manipulated into being on her side. I wanted to show them I could be what they wanted then but now, now I wish I was able to leave and not care for the money that was being dangled above my head.

It has been embedded into our brains that money is they key to happiness. That without it, you are nothing and will never gain anything. Yet all of that is wrong, foolishly wrong. I was born with money not being an issue to gain; it was always there in plentiful amounts and nothing was every sunshine and rainbows. Life was and still is clouded. Happiness just never was there at its fullest.

I always did wonder what it would be like if I were to have never grown up in a wealthy family. If I could have chosen what I wanted would I feel more happiness than now?

My phone buzzed in my clutch and I took it out to read the caller ID flashing on the dimly lit screen. Sidney's number appeared and I excused myself from the table to take the call. All I got was a glance and nodd from Theo who soon continued to chat. It was as if I had never even been there in the first place due to my lack of speaking.

I walked to the empty hall way that lead to the exit of the venue and answered before Sidney's call could go to voice mail.

"Samantha! I thought you wouldn't answer since your at the thing." Sidney's voice came in a rush on the other end of the call. I could hear her hesitation as she continued after I said a brief hello. "Sam it's Connor. He-he just right now came to my apartment and is all beat up and drunk. His wallet is missing and he's in a horrible state. My plates are being shattered at the moment just so you know. He keeps on screaming that he hates everyone and I don't know what to do or who else to call. Do you think you could get here fast?"

I couldn't reject her. My friends needed me and I had nothing better to do here anyway.

"I'll be their as soon as I can just-just make sure Connor doesn't hurt himself."

I walked back to the table and tapped Theo on his shoulder gaining his attention.

"I have an emergency do you think I could borrow your car. It will not take too long I'll be back soon." Theo hesitated before before nodding his head and giving me the keys to his Aston Martin.

I walked out that night with the hope of helping a friends and that was all that I thought about nothing else. That was my problem that night. That my thoughts were not in the right place but scattered aimlessly about.

...

As I drove to Sidney's apartment my phone started to ring. It was my mother. I didn't want to answer her since I was driving but I ended up outing her on speaker.

"Hello?"

"Where in the world are you? Your father and I get to the venue and Theo says you've left. Care to explain."

I look down to the phone in a split second and then respond to her.

"Sidney needs my help with something important I'll call you when I'm on my way back." I had hung up on her with the hope to get to Sidney's before anything happened to either of them. I never paid attention to my own well being and that is what I did wrong that night. I wasn't cautions enough as I should have been.

All that I had remembered after having up was the lights turning green and me pressing the gas pedal. The fast coming headlights from my right side never fully processed in me until it was too late. Until I had blacked out.

...

I tried to open my eyes, but darkness filled my vision and all that I saw was the occasional flicker of a white light in the distance. Pain filled me and I went to move my arm but pain surged with that failed attempt. I felt weak and there was nothing I could do to change it.

"Samantha!" My name was called from the distance and I turned to look at the source of the voice. I was greeted to see a blurry face. Nothing seemed clear and it was as if the world had faded into nonexistence.

"Samantha!" There it came again but this time it was close. So close I felt I could reach it but before I tried my body felt tired and my eyes that only saw blurred images started to flicker close. I was shutting down and letting the world around me fade away into oblivion again. And that is what I let happen before too arms started to pull on my limp body.