Chapter || Four

I accidentally posted this chapter without it being done, so if you had the chance to read it before I meant to post it scroll to where you ended off because I have added more. I pressed the publish button without this chapter being ready but it is ready now so enjoy. Sorry for such a long wait on this by the way.

Accept the things to which fate binds you, and love the people with whom fate brings you together, but do so with all your heart

~Marcus Aurelius

...

For the longest time I could remember, I was told I needed to act a certain way, dress in the latest fashion, and that my manners always needed to be prim and proper. I was born into money and it was expected of me to marry into it as well. I never understood the reason for why someone who already held money and power wanted even more, but the answer to that had always been greed. The world was filled with people that wanted more and didn't care who they took out in the process. My parents were one of those infamous people, and I was ashamed to say I had allowed them to control me and turn me into one of their puppets. They had been my masters since the day I was brought into this world, but I knew that at one point everything had to change. I didn't want their lifestyle and I had never seemed fit for it, yet I had played into their game and let them take over me, I had given them satisfaction when I had married Devin.

I realized that my whole life I had tried to only please my parents and had never done anything that would benefit me or do me any good until I let my wings spread and annulled Devin and I's marriage. Our divorce had made me for once feel free and detached from the people that should have protected me my whole life, but here I was again in the devil's pit. It seemed that as hard as I tried to escape my mother's grasp she would never let me be. She was the devil in disguise all my life. She had put money on a string and dangled it over my head so I would stay with her, and I had stupidly done as she bid.

This was my punishment now; to feel the inner pain I had given myself as external agony. All the bruises and scars that were now displayed on my pale skin were once inside and hidden, yet that no longer was the case. I now showcased them for the world to see. I was the canvas to my own mistakes.

The door opened to the hospital room and I turned to look at an incoming nurse with a clipboard in her hand.

I had been in this forsaken room for over a week and as much as I told the doctor I was feeling better I was yet to be released.

"Your mother is here Miss Hult," the short ginger said. She walked to where I stood in front of the glass window and smiled warmly at me.

"Tell her I'm sleeping. I don't feel like visitors today."

She tilted her head and shrugged her shoulders. "Does that mean your not ready to leave yet? She did come to take you home."

My eyes widened. I was finally leaving this white hell that was always cold. I gave into her cheeky smile and told her to let my mother in. She strode into the room as if she owned the damn place. Her 5'10 height only showcased taller with her four-inch heels. For a woman, at the age of 52, she sure did look younger. That had to do with her annual visits to get botox and what not. Money sure did possess the door to youth.

"Samantha you look horrible darling. Have you not been touching up your face with what I have brought you." She placed down a shopping bag on a table and started to pull out clothing items as well as a pair of shoes. "I brought you some clothes to change into I will be waiting outside. Hurry up please your father wants to meet us for lunch in about an hour." She left the room with nothing more.

I wanted to take my time. Let her know she could no longer tell me what to do. That's exactly what I needed to do. That accident had not only hurt me but it had set my mind straight, and I had a plan to finally freeing myself. Today's lunch would finally be my way out.

...

The table fell into silence. My mother held rage in her eyes that looked at me with death in them. On the other had my dad sat calm and gave me a smile. Two polar opposites staring at me and I at that moment didn't know how things would end in that very public place.

"Leave!?! That's the stupidest thing I have heard you say. You know very well what I said you don't leave until I see a ring one your finger. Stupid girl." My mother didn't give a damn on who heard her or what the public could get on the Hult family. She was mad and nothing at that moment mattered.

"Vivian calm down. Samantha is a grown woman that is allowed to make her own decisions. We have no control over her choices and I can not believe you have kept her from living her own life the past year. The marriage to the Maker kid was a mistake of mine and I will not let her live it out the way you are making her do so. You haven't even let her touch her trust fund." My father turned to me. "I think it's time for you to leave our house and find your own, but of course, you will always be welcomed at the house.

I have fulfilled my appetite I have to return to the office now. Good Bye."

He stood up and kissed me on the forehead also doing the same to my mother who held a just distasteful glare on her face.

"Fine if that's what you want, find your own way home, and I want all your things out by the end of the week. Let's see how long it takes you to come back." My mother stood up and left. It felt good to finally be on my own.

I pulled out my phone and dialed for a cab. I would go to Sidney's place and tell her the news before crashing at a hotel until I could find a place of my own.

...

I had knocked five times and no answer had come. I had called ten times, and still no answer had come, so I knelt down and lifted the flower pot next to her entrance and got the spare key to Sidney's apartment making sure that no one had seen.

The room was as silent as night when I went in, but as I got closer and closer to her room I noticed the scattered clothing on the floor and how on her bed laid two figures and not just one.

Sidney was indeed home it was just that she had company. I went over to her side table and picked up her phone that was on silent. There were eleven voice messages, ten of those where for sure from me but intrigued by who had left the other one I turned on her phone and went to listen to it. The contact had been saved as "Jerk," and I almost laughed out loud at her childish self.

"Hello, Sidney? This is Devin. I was just calling to ask how she was. Please call me back when you hear this."

My fingers, which were wrapped around Sidney's phone, tightened there hold a bit more. I stood frozen in front of Sidney and the mysterious guy whose face was not shown to me at all. Devin had called her phone to ask how 'she' was, and I was not stupid to not know to whom he was referring to.

Sidney stirred awake and stared straight into my eyes. She looked at the phones screen and saw the name from who the voice mail was from.

"I'll wait for you in the living area," I said after putting her phone on her night stand and leaving the room.

How did he know about the accident? My mom had made sure the media or news had not mentioned my name.