Chapter 75, Hanger

Boomer looked so humiliated even I cracked a smile. The twins were doubled over laughing, Max was trying really hard not to, and Levy and dodger were holding onto each other so they wouldn’t fall over. Boomer scowled at us.

“This is not funny. I look like a ballet dancer.” He said, trying to pull the black stretchy fabric that clung to his legs like super glue off. That just made the twins laugh harder.

“Jaysus, this is quite possibly the greatest show of non-manliness I’ve seen since coming to America!” Liam said. Levy fell to the floor and started rolling around. Arianna was shopping with us. I had managed to convince her I didn’t need anything because Sadie made sure I had new clothes, which wasn’t entirely true, but who cares? Poor Boomer had suffered the consequences and was wearing black leggings and a tight gray shirt. I was pretty sure it was made for girls. Dodger threw his arm over Boomer’s shoulder.

“Oh, I’m sorry. I thought you were my girlfriend!” he cried, then erupted into another fit of laughter. Boomer played into it.

“You wish. You don’t even have a girl friend.” He teased. Arianna came around the corner, her arms full of clothes. We tried to pull our selves together. Max didn’t help. She smiled at us.

“What’re you laughing about Oh, Boomer! You look fabulous. Hanger, you’d better watch Sadie. She’ll be all over Boomer.” Arianna said. I’m sorry to say she wasn’t being sarcastic. I bit my lip to keep from laughing. Oh, Sadie would be all over him alright. For all the wrong reasons. Boomer pasted a smile on his face and took the armload of clothes Arianna shoved into his chest. I was amazed what he would do for her. He went back into the dressing room. Arianna made a face.

“I hope he doesn’t get that, It did no justice to his hips. I think he may be o attached to it already, unfortunately.” She said, shaking her head. Levy coughed to hide a laugh. Nicco wasn’t as successful. He barked out a laugh before he could stop himself. Arianna raised an eyebrow. He couldn’t very well tell her what he was really laughing about, so he shook his head.

“Something Liam told me.” He muttered, tapping his forehead and stifling another laugh. Boomer came back out of the dressing room.

“You know, Arianna, maybe we’d better find some clothes for Max. Look at him.” Boomer said, gesturing to Max. Max looked up and glared at Boomer. Arianna smiled and opened her mouth to say something.

Suddenly, the white tile floors of the store trembled and shook, knocking shelves over. For a moment, I thought the whole place was going to collapse like a house of cards. The tremors stopped, and we ran for the door. Outside, the sky was a mass of purple, swirling clouds. Levy made a face.

“I guess Ariadne’s in a bad mood.” Arianna paled, staring up at the sky, and shook her head.

“This is not Ariadne. I have to go. Be very, very careful and head straight for the houses.” She said an dashed off before we could say anything. This wasn’t sounding good. Max shifted from foot to foot.

“This doesn’t feel right. We should go.” He said nervously. Dodger lowered the glasses he still wore, even though he had gotten rid of the head phones.

“Yeah, we should. Those tree’s are getting worked up.” We headed for the car, actually the van that Arianna had given to the guys for the trip, and piled in. I got in the driver’s seat, much to Liam’s chagrin. The ground shook again.

I peeled out of the parking lot and headed down the empty streets as fast as possible while also trying to shift the standard van at the same time. Nicco was in the passenger’s seat.

“I’ve never seen Arianna get so worked up before. Jaysus, this really must be getting bad, eh, boyo? Maybe we’d better go check it out in the woods? You are aware there are four gears, right? I hope those little wee ones aren’t too scared. I imagine Jasper is with them. Seriously, man, do you even know how to drive?” I ignored him. We all knew that Nicco babbled when he got nervous. We sped into the driveway and I came to such an abrupt halt that Nicco flew forward. I had to admit, I wasn’t the best at driving standard. Sadie came out of the house, shutting the door behind her to keep the kids’ in. We all bailed out. Sadie looked worried.

“Did you guys feel that?” she asked. I nodded.

“Yeah, Arianna got really freaked out and ran off to do something. Where’s Jasper?” I asked. She shook her head.

“I don’t know. He said he had some things to do and left a while ago. Is Ryder with you?” the last part caught me off guard.

“No, why would he be?” Levy asked, stepping forward. Ryder liked him. Sadie looked terrified.

“Oh, god. We have to find him.” she ran back in the house, the rest of us on her heels. Inside the house, there was tumble of voices all together. Libby, Ariadne, and Roxi all in one corner, talking nervously as girls do. Sophia was curled up with Jett, who clung to her like a life raft. I didn’t see Sully anywhere.

“Don’t worry guys, Arianna is checking on things, We’re fine.” Sadie said, trying to reassure them. She gave the guys a pleading look, and the immediately spread put among the kids. Liam, Nicco, and Max going to Sophia and Jett to entertain them. Dodger, Levy and Boomer all went to the girls and immediately started talking with them. I followed Sadie down the hall.

“Sully! Now is not the time!” she shouted through the house. Sully suddenly appeared at the end of the hall.

“I can’t find Ryder anywhere. I looked all over.” He said, sounding worried. I often forgot that Ryder was technically Sully’s little brother. Sadie sighed and ran a hand through her hair. I went up beside her and brushed my hand across her waist. She relaxed a little, and the familiar determined light came into her eyes.

“Hanger and I are going to find him. You stay here.” She instructed and started to go back down the hall. Sully appeared in front of us, his blonde hair sticking up in random places.

“I’m coming. He’s my brother.” He said, folding his arms over his chest. Sadie sighed and rubbed her forehead, glanced at me, then looked at Sully. After a moment, she said, “Fine, but you have to listen to me.” Sully smiled and nodded, then ran down the hall. Sadie looked up at me.

“I just went to get something for Sophia, and then he was gone.” She said, rubbing her eyes. I took her hands away from her face and kissed her, hard. I felt he smile against my lips.

“I can’t be distracted right now.” She murmured. I felt a little bad, but not bad enough. I let her go anyways.  We went back into the dining room. Sully was waiting by the door, ready to go. Sophia and Jett were still distracted, but it hadn’t escaped the other girls notice that Sully was going and they were not. Roxi was already glaring at the door, waiting for Sadie to come through.

“How come he gets to go?” she asked. Sadie stood a little straighter. This was territory she knew what to do in.

“Do you want to go out in the cold, in the dark, and search for Ryder, where there are monsters that could get you?” she asked, raising an eyebrow. Roxi looked away, but Ariadne and Libby were old enough not to be afraid of those things anymore.

“We want to go. He’s our friend too, and it isn’t fair. Why should Sully get to go?’ Libby said.

“Sully is going because Ryder is his brother, and he should go. You are staying because the last thing I need is two kids missing.” Ariadne looked appalled.

“Oh, now we’re kids? After all we’ve been through. We’re coming whether you like it or not.” Sadie returned her scowl and put her hands on her hips. I saw the twins flinch.

“You are going to stay here, listen to the boys, and wait for me to get back. You’re help would be lovely, but not necessary. Don’t worry.” She said. Libby and Ariadne scowled, knowing what was happening, but obeyed. They really had no choice. Sadie shook her head. "Damn kids," she muttered under her breath, but I knew she loved them. she shook her head and set off down the hall, her face set determinedly. That's my girl, I thought.