Chapter 42, Sadie

Sully and Libby were walking way ahead of us, talking with each other. I wondered if I should allow that, then decided, what the hell? Had a cute kid like sully been around when I was her age, I might have acted the same way. Ryder was talking to animals, and then he would get them to go near Jett, who, I discovered, really liked animals and they liked him because he was so quiet. Rex was still perched on Ryder’s shoulder, and the scene reminded me of snow white, with the squirrels following Ryder and Jett around.

Suddenly, there was a rush of motion, and we were surrounded by little things that, after a moment, I realized to be gargoyles, like the ones you see on a castle. More specifically, like the ones I had seen all over the outside of Hanger’s castle. They all shifted back and forth, and looked just like they were made out of stone. There long arms dragged on the ground, and there leathery rings were tucked neatly against their backs. Their hideous faces snarled and twisted into odd shapes as they stood around us. I immediately gather all the kids just as they attacked. There were maybe eight of them. I grabbed Jett and tried to keep him near me, but soon I let him go with Ryder, because Ryder was surrounded by three bears, which were swiping there massive claws and sending gargoyles flying through the air.

Libby and Sully were back to back. Or I assumed they were, because random Gargoyles would appear to hit something, and then twist into odd shapes and then blink rapidly, their gray skin turning a plum purple where the invisible Sully was punching and kicking. I discovered that I could push simple thoughts into the heads of the creatures, like making them ram their heads again and again into a tree, or attack one another, but every now and then I would have to fling one off my back to simply use my hands to bring them down.

Before long, the creatures were lying in heaps on the ground, or had run off shrieking into the woods. Jett was busily healing the minor wounds on the other kids, and the bears were lumbering back off into the forest. Sully suddenly appeared right next to Libby and they began talking shakily. Ryder joined in while I pushed the little bodies behind places where, had any one the sudden impulse to go out into the middle of the woods for no reason, no one would find them. Suddenly, I felt a small hand brush against mine. Jett looked at me with his dusty gray eyes and slipped a finger through my belt loop, searching for comfort. I imagined how scary it must be for a six year old boy to be facing creatures like this. I picked his light body up and rested his weight on my hip. Ryder took my other hand and Sully and Libby came to walk on either side of me as we continued on our path to Ariadne, the next kid.

“I don’t like them.” Jett said in his soft, dusty voice. I squeezed him tighter. “I know, and that’s why you’re all with me. We’re going to make them all go away, for good.” Ryder sighed. “I’m gonna be a part of killing all the monsters in the world. Think about that, Sully. Imagine what all the other kids at the orphanage would do if we told them what we’re doing!” Sully laughed. “They’d never believe us.” Libby made a face. “My friends never believed anything I ever told them about monsters. If I had Rex, I could prove it.” Jett made a small sound. “Rex isn’t a monster.” He said, reaching down to touch Rex’s head.

“No, but I could tell them that he was. They would believe me.” She said with a smug smile. I shifted Jett’s weight to my other hip. I wished that their lives could have been so much easier.

                                                                    *******

That night, I sat beside our small fire, every one asleep except me and Libby. Ryder was passed out in my lap, Jett next to me, and Sully, claiming that he didn’t need any one to help him sleep, had curled up on the other side of the fire. I thought of all the nights me and Hanger had sat in the darkness, Hanger’s ability to see in the dark meaning we didn’t need one. I missed him so much. Without thinking, I heaved a huge sigh. Libby pried her eyes away from Sully to look at me.

“What’s wrong?’ she asked, coming closer. I shook my head. “Nothing at all.” She paused for a moment. “What’s his name?’ she asked suddenly in that grown up way she had. I shouldn’t have been surprised. Libby was pretty good at reading expressions. I wondered how she would do with Hanger. I sighed again.

“Hanger.” Libby smiled at me. “Oooh, sounds hot.” I smiled. “He is.” I said without thinking. I blushed hotly, but Libby didn’t seem to care. “What does he look like?” she inquired leaning closer. A lot of description popped into my head, only a few appropriate for a twelve year old girls ears. “Black hair, black eyes. Taller than anyone I’ve ever met before.” I said. It felt surprisingly good to talk to someone about him. Libby made a face. “I prefer blondes, myself.” She said, her gaze flickering to Sully. “Is he not paying attention to you? I know what that’s like.” She said with a sigh, her gaze traveling back to Sully. I shook my head. “No, it’s not. He pays far too much attention to me. I just miss him a lot.” I said. She patted my arm. “Will I get to meet him?” I smiled at her. “At Arianna’s, we’ll all see him.” I said. Libby smiled and looked back at Sully. I followed her gaze. She wasn’t a little girl, really. “You know, I think he likes you too.” Her face lit up. “Really?” I nodded, then her face fell. “Is it that obvious that I like him?” I shook my head. “Only to me. Boys are clueless.” I said, giving her a wink. She giggled and then yawned. ‘I’ll see you in the morning.” She said and curled up against a tree. After a moment, her breathing deepened into sleep. I looked around me.

Ryder was now curled around Rex, who was sleeping peacefully. Jett was still sound asleep next to me. Sully smiled in his sleep and rolled over. Thorns sprouted around Ryder and formed a protective shell hovering just over his body. I found that interesting. Even in sleep he could control his gift. Or maybe he was just dreaming that he needed some sort of protection. That thought made me frown, and I brushed his hair out of his eyes. He wrinkled his nose, but didn’t wake. They were all so gosh darned cute.