Chapter 18, Sadie

IF ANYONE IN READING THIS, I BEG OF YOU TO COMMENT!!! -LYDIA

When Hanger flicked his hand, the most amazing thing happened. The green monster that had lunged at us had gotten so close that I could smell its rotten breath, flew across the room and slammed into the wall. It landed on its feet and jumped at us again. Hanger waved his hand and the monster fell to the ground, struggling as if it were tied down.

"Go!" Hanger ground out, still holding the monster. I followed his orders and jumped over the creature and out the door, Hanger right behind me. He slammed the door just as the creature slammed into it, making it shudder. He muttered something under his breath and the monster slammed again, the door still not breaking. It should have broken after the first time. I stared at the door, stunned, but Hanger started dragging me down the hall.

In the lobby, Hanger suddenly flattened himself against the wall with me and cursed under his breath. I peeked around the corner and a small creature was standing there, picking at something on the rug. My breath caught in my throat with a choking sound, and it looked up. It was only a couple feet tall, with pale skin. It was completely boney, its gross skin stretched over it in a sickening way. It had two massive black eyes, and two holes where its nose should have been. It opened is mouth, exposing rows of dagger like teeth, and a line of drool trickled to the floor. It let out a high pitched, keening wail and two bat like, leathery wings unfolded behind it as it leapt twenty feet into the air and sat on the rafters. It was waiting for us to come out, not realizing we had already seen in. I looked up at Hanger, who was staring over my head, to something behind me. I

Helooked down at me, and there was a smile playing around his lips. Funny, he wasn't crazy when we got up this morning, I thought. He jerked his head behind me and I saw a door with a faded red emergency door sign over it. I smiled and we scurried out the door and into the night.

A single light lit the empty parking lot of the hotel as we darted into the covering of the trees. We ran until we couldn't even see the light shining through the trees any more, than we collapsed on the ground, our breathing heavy.

"What just happened?" I asked after a moment. "Nothing." He answered stupidly. I glared at him. "You're right. Every body can flick there hand and send a massive lizard that shouldn't even exist flying across a room. Oh, and that gross little creature we saw, that was nothing too. Every hotel has one in there lobby." I said, annoyed.

"You ask too many questions. I suppose you might as well know. I never really thought anything of it though. I forgot I could even do that. Is that unusual?" he asked, trying to look innocent. "You know, I really shouldn't believe that, but seems as how I saw it with my own eyes I do. I should really be shocked that you can do that, but I'm not because right now, Santa Clause could land with his reindeer right in front of me and I would hardly notice." I said, standing up. Hanger propped himself up on his elbows.

"I should have known those would come for us. It'll be worse next time." He said encouragingly. I looked around and realized I didn't have my back pack, dismay filling me. "I don't suppose you can use any of that witch craft crap to get my back pack here?" I asked, running a hand through my hair. All he did was shift his weight and my bag appeared t my feet. I knelt down next to it and pulled out a Twinkie, shoving it in my mouth.

"Oh, sweet, sweet Twinkies." I said, sitting down androlling onto my back. I stood up immediately when I felt the wet ground. Hanger made a noise, and I looked up at him. He was doing something I didn't think I would ever see. He chuckled and gave me a cock eyed grin. I returned his grin with my own, my heart squeezing painfully in my chest. He had the most intoxicating smile. Stop, it Sadie, I chided myself. He chuckled again, and to my great dismay, the smile faded from his face.

"We just got attacked by a giant lizard on hind legs, and all you can think about is Twinkies." He said. I smiled again and started walking straight."Fine. Well, lets keep going, unless you want sleep?" I said, throwing a glance over my shoulder at him. Just the last trace of that heart stopping smile was lingering around his mouth as he shook his head and followed me. "So, why did you not tell me about these special little powers you possess?" I asked, balling up the wrapper of my Twinkie and shoving it back in my pocket. He shrugged. "It never came up." He said. I looked at him skeptically.

"I can think of at least a dozen times when that could have been helpful." I said accusingly. He didn't answer, but looked behind us as Rex scampered out of the darkness. "I wonder where he runs off to during the day..." Hanger said, half to himself. Rex trotted up to me, growling at Hanger and rubbing against my legs. I scooped his small scaly body off the ground.

"You know, I know this girl who has a dog that looks like you, only its hideous. She carts it around like a child. She would have a heart attack if she saw me with you." I said with a chuckle, imagining the long-forgotten Sierra back home. I wondered what they did after I fell. It didn't appear that many people really cared I was gone. They probably thought it a load off of their shoulders.

"What's wrong?" Hanger's voice broke into my reverie and I glanced up. "You look....worried." he said. I smoothed out my face, realizing I had been frowning, causing lines to appear on my forehead. "Nothing.Just thinking." I said. He snorted, and I looked up at him, surprised. I could hardly see his face, just his dark silhouette. "Did you just snort at me?" I asked him, raising an eye brow. He shook his head. "And you say I'm secretive." He said, tilting his head to look down at me. I smiled. He was right, as much as I hated to admit it. Still, I didn't say anything. Even though what I had been thinking wasn't really personal, I wasn't use to people knowing what I was thinking, unless I told them it, which was rare.

I wanted to open up to Hanger, so badly, but for some reason, I just couldn't bring myself to. Maybe it was a trust issue. Or maybe I just wasn't used to it. Whatever the reason, I still didn't know how to go about telling him what went through my head. In fact, it would probably horrify him. We walked on silence, Rex draped over my arm, fast asleep. He kicked in his sleep, dinging into my stomach. I flinched, and Hanger offered to take him. I gratefully handed him over. Slowly the sun rose above the horizon, turning the sky to luscious pink-yellow combination. I yawned, and Hanger wasn't looking so ambitious either. It was gonna be a long day.