Chapter 3, Sadie

Sadie

I had a regular, boring life. I had spent three years at boot camp as a child, and then came home and continued honing my fighting skills. Then I went to high school and tried to be as normal as possible, and it seemed to work. In my small town, word spread fast. My father was a priest, and my mother an established business women. She was barely ever home. Whatever, though. Seems as how my father was a priest, there was an image for me to maintain, and I hated it. My father and I father never got along well. He is the one who sent me away to boot camp. Why, you ask, would a priest send his only child to boot camp? Because my father is, oddly enough, not against war. I never said he was a good priest. He never…liked me, I guess you could say. He was a cold, calculating man with sharp blue eyes and a balding head. I spent most of my time in my large house, or out with my friends. I did the best I could to either embarrass my father and mother, or just make them insane with rage. It brought pleasure to me. There was one thing I always hated, and that was the darkness. To this day, I still have a night light. I know it is childish, but I can’t stand it.

My small high school knew me well as a rebel, I guess you could say, and word around town of me was not the best. I looked completely normal and innocent, but most people in my town had learned I could be a bit of a trouble maker. Vandalism and stuff like that was below me though. I never broke the law. I just did annoying, troublesome things that in a small town were basically considered a crime. Anyways, my life was boring; except for the small amount of entertainment I make for myself.

That day had started completely normal for me. I rolled out of my small bed and stumbled across the floor of my small room. I could have had a massive, flashy room with a California king bed if I wanted one, but I didn’t like the flashy things the way my parents did. I opened my door and walked into the massive white hallway that led to the stairs. I passed my parents room. My father was already up, and my mother had already gone to work. If I was lucky, and stayed awake long enough, then maybe I would see her for a few minutes when she got home tonight. Down stairs my father was dressing in his robes. I realized it must be Sunday already. He glanced at me in the mirror where he was straightening his clothing. He didn’t say anything, and neither did I. This was the way it went, every day. I looked at the clock. Just after nine. The start of another boring day.

My cell phone buzzed. I picked it up off of the shining marble counter. A girl I knew from school but did not actually consider a friend was offering for me to come with her and her friends. Weird… I answered with a cheerful yes. Anything to get away from that house. Just around town, they said. That was unusual. Not to mention these people weren’t really my friends. In fact, I barely knew them and rumor had it that they didn’t like me at all, but lots of rumors circulated around our small school.

 I shoved my phone into the pocket of my jeans and walked out the door into our perfectly trimmed lawn, where a red jeep was parked on the drive way. It honked its horn and the window rolled down. A girl with shiny blonde hair and lots of makeup stuck her head out the window.

“Come on, Sadie! We have special plans!” she yelled to me. I heard laughter from inside the jeep as I walked towards it. I opened the door to find that there was just enough space for me to fit in. two boys were already in the back, with three girls in the front. I squeezed in next to a boy named Josh I knew from school. He smiled sickly at me. “Hi, Sadie. Excited?” he asked me. It seemed like there was some hidden joke that I was missing, but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t figure out what it was. The girl in the front, Sierra, threw the jeep into reverse and shot off down the road.