Chapter 36: Sisters

So the time skip is approaching super fast. I don't think that I am going to cover any of the filler arcs that occur after Sasuke leaves the village, they won't help the plot of the story any so there's really no point. Thanks to all the people who have read and voted on this story, I can never thank you guys enough. Enjoy!

--------------------------------

     I was standing in the Hokage's office with Shikamaru Nara. Tsunade was sitting there staring at the two of us, and I was irrationally worried. I knew that I had done nothing wrong, but there is always this primal fear that awakens when you are called to the office of an authority figure.

     "To be honest with you two, I don't know what to do. Shikamaru, with the final exam being suspended, it was the opinion of many that none of the students should pass this time around, and that includes you. However, I hear that the Third Hokage had nothing but the highest praise for your match; it seems he meant to recommend you for chunin. In fact, all those who observed the fight and your proctors felt the same so in this case my opinion doesn't really matter." He had a look of pride and shock on his face that seemed out of place when compared to his usual demeanor. "Ana," my posture stiffened immediately because some part of me had a feeling of what was going to come next, and I was super excited. "The Third Hokage also orchestrated a special exam for you because of your peculiar circumstances in arriving the village that prevented you from participating in the official exam. The Hokage and Kakashi had nothing but praise for how you handled yourself on the mission. I also agree with this promotion after what I have seen of your unique jutsu, sensory abilities, and medical ninjutsu." I was blushing like mad; it wasn't often that Tsunade gave such high praise. "You two, from this day forth I hope that you will strive to achieve a level of excellence worthy of that headband. Congratulations, as of this moment, you stand as chunins." Asuma grabbed a vest off the desk and handed it to Shikamaru, and Kakashi grabbed mine since he was my sensei. As he walked closer to me, I realized that I really hadn't seen him since three days ago when he showed me his face. I tensed a little in residual anger as he approached and handed me the vest. I took it from him, careful not to make eye contact. I could see how my cold attitude hurt him, and it brought me a little bit of sadistic joy after how much he had hurt me by playing around with my emotions the way that he had.

     "Thank you, Kakashi-sensei." I said taking it from his hands. That was the final blow, we had always kept our relationship informal enough that I didn't have to call him sensei, but I had just made it very clear to the jounin that that was how our relationship was now. I wasn't going to let him get close to me like that again. I knew that he had a rough past and I maybe should have been cutting him a little more slack, but the pain was still too fresh. Hell hath no fury like a heartbroken kunoichi.

     I really thought that he was going to kiss me, and that he felt the same way that I did about him, but he just acted like it was all a game. I couldn't believe that now he was acting like that had never happened. I put on my chunin vest, and I liked the weight of it. It felt safe. Bowing low to Lady Tsunade, I said thank you and she dismissed me. Using the new jutsu that I had just taught myself, I raised one hand in a sign and poofed away to my apartment. It probably looked pretty rude, but I didn't want to have to talk to Kakashi right now since I would probably say something that I'd regret.

     I sat down to a lonely lunch and started to think about how I had treated Kakashi and started to feel a little sad at the loss of our friendship. I didn't feel any guilt, that would probably come later, but for now I was still too mad and felt like he had deserved it. Leading me on like that... I had thought that he as better than that. Washing my dishes and putting them up, I decided to go and visit Sasuke who was in the hospital after a mission that the genin of Team 7 had gone on to help the Wasabi family win this race in the Land of Tea. They had come across enemy ninja and Sasuke was injured in the battle. Gathering up some food into a bento for Sasuke, I had personal experience with how bad the hospital food was, I made my way out. People like to give flowers, but I never really understood that. I knew that I'd prefer it if people saved me from the hospital food so that's what I did for the Uchiha.