Playing with Fire- Chapter Nine

Yes, I know, the last chapter was a short one. This one should be longer. I think. Anyway, I'm gonna be updating at least once a week, because if I don't Hilroy (Luxray13579) has permission to punch me, and I can't punch back. So yeah.

Well, I won't ramble on any longer. You came here to read, so read you shall!

_________________________________________________________________________

Brown. Just brown, surrounding me from all sides like a foul-smelling fog. There were no sounds save for my own breathing and the erratic beating of my heart. Wherever my skin made contact with the mysterious smog, tiny pinpricks of pain burned me. A small yellow patch floated in front of me, wrenching on my heartstrings for an unknown reason. Almost as though it was pleading with me to do the impossible.

An overwhelming feeling of dread slammed through my body when the silver eyes of my Dragon shined through the brown mist. Just the eyes, and eventually even those began to fade and I found myself truly alone.

It was then that I truly began to panic, stumbling blindly through the smog and crying out for help. My legs seized up and I fell to my knees, gasping into lungs that no longer seemed to want the air I was inhaling.

A figure appeared in the mist, a tall, muscular male that I would recognize from anywhere. I opened my mouth to call to him, a mouth that made no sounds but for the wheeze of expelled air. No matter how hard I tried I remained silent.

The figure came into view, so familiar that I almost began crying with the thought of a bit of normal in the confusing situation. I'd let myself feel unalarmed too soon, because the man in front of me wasn't as I remembered him. His normally ice-blue eyes were a milky white, a dark stain on his robes barely distinguishable from the red fabric.

I tried to scream, tried to make any sort of noise as the man in front of me collapsed, but my throat closed up. It wasn't true, this was an illusion, because it wasn't true, it couldn't be, but here he was right in front of me and there was nothing I could do to help him.

Suddenly, his dead body jolted up. I scrambled back in fear, trying to look everywhere but the mark burned into his forehead. It was no use. All I could do was stare in horror and revulsion as his already decomposing lips formed the words, "he is coming."

*     *     *     *     *

My eyes flew open, taking in the sight of the plain wooden ceiling. A breeze floated in from the screen window and chilled my sweat-soaked skin. I bolted up, glancing around wildly for any indication that what I had just seen was more than a dream.

Hayden- oh Gods, he was alright- was still in his spot next to the mattress. No blood coated his chest. His forehead was still as smooth as usual, his full lips perfectly healthy and turned up in a small smile.

I reached out a tentative hand, fearful that the moment I touched him he would disappear and I would be brought back to that horrible brown fog. He stirred a bit when I grabbed his shoulder, but continued to sleep.

Are you alright, little one? That was quite the nightmare. Yín sè! You're here! Of course, young one. How are you? You were so scared and I just couldn't wake you up. Watching you panic like that was horrible. I'm fine now, thanks.

I spun frantically at the sound of Hayden groaning, my mind still focused on the horrid dream and panicking at the slightest noise. My best friend was lifting himself off of the floor, rolling his shoulders and yawning.

"Mornin', Reiara," he mumbled, scrunching his eyes up as he yawned yet again. "How was your sleep?" I blinked twice, considering whether or not to tell him about my frightening dream. On one hand, he was my best friend and probably deserved to know. Then again, he might get too worried about me and have trouble focusing.