Playing with Fire- Chapter Twelve

So, I've decided to go for the Watty Awards, although I may not finish in time. Keep your fingers crossed (even though I don't believe in that) that I'll get it finished! Hopefully I can, because I wouldn't mind at least being part of the Watty Awards.

And now, finally, you can actually read the chapter you clicked on the link to read in the first place.

_________________________________________________________________________

"No, no, no," I muttered, groping my mind to try and find just a trace of my Dragon's Běnzhí. All I could find was empty space. A cry escaped my lips as I searched harder, and then a sigh of relief when I detected her.

Something was wrong. She was roped off, shoved away from the rest of my mind and unable to communicate with me. Almost as if there were a barrier between us. There was a faint growl, like she knew of it as well and was attempting to push through it.

"What is it," Hayden asked, sitting on the bed and facing me. I groaned as the pounding in my head escalated to a full-scale thunderstorm, rhythmically crushing my brain like a drummer playing in a fast tempo.

"I can't feel Yín sè," I moaned, massaging my skull in a futile attempt to make the pain stop. Hayden's eyes widened, the irises disks of blue ice that reflected his surprise.

"What do you mean?" he questioned, trying to look into my eyes as I squirmed in his grip. The inquiry irked me and made me even more frustrated than I had just been. I wrenched away from Hayden, kicking him away softly with a half-hearted blow.

"It means that I can't find her," I hissed icily. His face twisted into an expression of hurt, and my heart ached from how much it seemed my cruel and undeserved words had affected him. "Sorry," I murmured, trying to make my voice apologetic. He nodded in understanding.

"Maybe you could try and talk to her in the Core," he suggested. There was still a hint of pain in his voice, but it was so minute that I wasn't quite sure whether I'd imagined it or not. His suggestion made sense; if I could still hear her growl then there had to be a way for us to communicate.

I settled myself on the bed, letting out my hair and relaxing at the feeling of it draped around my body. My Línghún made it's way through the layers of my consciousness almost of it's own accord. There wasn't time to form my normal layer of Běnzhí, and anyway, I trusted Hayden to be able to protect me.

As I let myself into the Core, I sighed in relief at the sight of silver eyes. They weren't totally solid and faded in and out of my view, but they were there.

Yín sè? Are you there? I am... something blocking... from that boy... find someone who can help... What's going on, Yín sè? Why are you so fuzzy? ...Don't know, you must... who can fix this. But who? Whom... Now is not the time, Yín sè! Sorry, young... must find the one your brother reccomended. Will he be able to help us? Yes, I know... very helpful, usually... Alright then. We'll do that. Do it soon... be lost forever. What? What did you say about being lost forever? Lost... Yín sè, you're fading out! Don't do this! Sorry...

With a violent push I was shoved out of the Core, gasping at the sensation of hurtling through the layers without being able to stop. My brain was still throbbing and it was one of the worst headaches I'd ever experienced.

"Well?" Hayden whispered. I looked right into his eyes, meeting his gaze with a fierce intensity and feeling my breathing quicken inexplicably.

"Let's go find the Dragon genius," I pronounced, slipping off of the bed and heading for the door. Hayden scrambled after me, scooping up the folded map and his bag on the way. I marched with determination down the stairs, anticipating hearing Yín sè's voice once again in my mind.