Chapter 3

My eyes skip over every face I see like a rock skips across the water. They land on the back of her head as she continues to strut through the crowd, her head held high in the air. "Wait!" I suddenly shout over the blasting of the music. A few heads turn and she does too. Once again, we stand a few feet apart and her curious blue eyes stare back at me, boring their way through my skull. What do I do now? You have her attention. Say something. "I- I remember seeing you last night. I just wanted to know if you wanted to... go on a date?" I finally manage to speak up.

Her eyes light up and she smiles flashing her perfectly straight, white teeth. "I'd love to. By the way, my name is Veronica." She says, holding out a hand for me to shake.

Taking it willingly, I proceed to tell her my name."I'm --" Before I can give her my name she answers it for me.

"Vic Fuentes, lead singer of Pierce the Veil." She smiles again, lines appearing on the sides of her cheeks. She's heard of us before? I feel my heart jump out of my chest from the excitement that rushed through my veins from the thought that we were starting to be noticed.

 "Wow, I've never actually met someone who knew who we were." I reply feeling proud that there were at least some fans out there. 

"It's a shame that a lot of people don't." She replies flashing a perfect grin that stood in the shape of the crescent moon. I watch as her blue eyes skip over the faces behind me and they suddenly flicker to a harsh and cold glare before returning to normal. I turn around just as Jesse was about to attempt at scaring me by jumping on my back. 

"Hey, Jess." I smile at her as she straightens up her hunched over shoulders and annalyzes Veronica and I can practically see her entire list of judgements blowing up in the inside of her mind. "This is Veronica... and Veronica this is Jesse. She's a good friend of mine." I say as I politely introduce the two. 

"Oh... I see," Veronica says, arching an eyebrow that seemed to say 'Who the hell do you think you are?' that was being directed straight toward Jesse. I feel tension between the two, a connection that said nothing but bad. "Anyways, do you happen to have a pen with you right now?" Veronica asks, no longer even acknowledging the fact that Jesse was standing right beside me.

I shake my head. "No sorry. I think Jesse might," I reply glancing down to Jesse. She let's out a disgusted groan before pulling out a pen from her pocket and handing it to Veronica. Veronica grabs my hand and jots down a few numbers on the palm of my hand which I quickly assumed was her phone number.

"Make sure you call me sometime," Veronica says with a seductive sounding voice as she turns to walk away. "But not now, I have to get back to my little brother. He's waiting for me by the food stands so I should be going now. Bye Vic." 

Just when she's no longer at ear-shot level, Jesse mumbles angry profanities under her breath, throwing the pen into the hot sand. "There is no way that I am going to fucking touch that pen after her cyanide fingers have been in contact with it." She says, making a repulsed face as her foot kicks over the sand so that the pen was now buried.

"Is this just a girl thing or is there something really so terrible about Veronica?" I question with obvious confusion for why Jesse hated her so much. "Because you have to remember, the first time Mike brought in Harper, you hated her a lot too. Now you guys are best friends."

"With Harper it was different! When I ran into her at the coffeeshop she bought me a drink for free. It was from then on I knew we would be the best of friends... But for some reason Veronica seems kinda..." Her voice trails off and her eyes grow a distant look in them.

"Kind of what?" I ask intently wondering what reason Jesse had for hating somebody she didn't even know. Jesse snaps her head around and turns her attention back toward me.