Chapter 6

Vic's POV

"You guys can come out now," I say as I pull open the door to Jaime's closet. I peek into the halfway open door to reveal Jaime and Jess asleep in a fetal position, side by side. They look really good together . . . I think to myself.

It hurt a tiny piece of my heart to see that. I had a couple of dents already in my heart and not necessarily just from being rejected. I cured my pain by adding a little bit more in a physical sense. And now that old pain I tended to get used to was clinging onto my skin like souvenirs of something I didn't want to be. 

"Everything new distracts the old," Jesse had once told me. And now that was being applied to the concepts of my own life. I wasn't so sure if I truly liked Veronica or if maybe I was just using her as a distraction to hide or shy away whatever it was that I felt for Jesse. More like currently feeling. And it's a terrifying thought. I could never tell her because of Jaime. He fessed up the feelings first and now it was time for me to back off.

The shuffling of coats brings my mind back down to reality and I glance down to find the two awakening; stretching their arms as if thawing from a long term hibernation. "Is she gone?" Jesse croaks, holding her hands far beyond her head. I nod my head as Jesse looks at me fore an answer. "Good because I hated that bitch."

I feel my heart sink to my stomach. "What? Why?" I complain as I stare at her for reason. 

Jesse just shrugs her shoulders. "Vic, trust me. As a female, I was born with this supernatural talent to be able to detect bitches and hoes. And you sir, have got both traits in the same girl. Deal-breaker. It won't last."

"I feel like I've seen her somewhere before . . . She looks way familiar but I can't place a finger on it. I think she might have modeled for this one magazine - " Jaime starts before his face turns red and he stares at the carpet flooring in the closet.

"Which magazine?" Jesse's right eyebrow is sent upward as curiosity swirls through the pupils of her dark eyes.

After no answer from Jaime, she playfully smacks him on the shoulder and laughs at his embarrassment. "Oh my god, Jaime! I cannot believe you, you're so disgusting!" I smile at Jaime and shake my head in disapproval.

"Whatever, okay? Anyway, I am really tired so I'm going to sleep. Vic, you think you can drop off Jesse?" I jump at the offer and take it before it's gone. 

"Yeah, sure!" I take Jesse by the hand and help lift her off the closet floor. "Night, Jaime! And thanks again, dude for letting me use your apartment. You were a big help!" Jaime blushes like the inner girl he was and shrugs it off like it was no big deal.

 ~

As we speed down the highway, I notice Jesse glancing out the window with a curious look on her face. The fast blur of lights seemed to make me dizzy, but apparently captured Jesse's interest more than a conversation ever could. "Music?" I suggest.

I always preferred noise over silence. I hated silence because truth was revealed in a deafening hush and it was too much to handle all at once. Sometimes the quiet isn't so bad but just like the shoreline, every once in a while a huge wave with come crashing down on you with an unexpected force. I wasn't one to be left alone with my thoughts. Music always made sure they never strayed too far. And so did Jesse.

"Sure, why not?" she smiles weakly with a tired and worn out look on her face. 

"Any suggestions?" I ask as I slide open a box by my feet to reveal the hundreds of CD's that I'd collected over the years.

"Woah! Geez, Vic . . . " she exclaimes in awe. "I had no idea you were so into music. Can I see what you've got?" I nod as I bend over to lift it up, carefully making sure not to take my eyes off the highway. I place the heavy shoe box into Jesse's lap and quickly she begins to dig through the music.