ii

it turns out the michael doesn't hang around often. the only times i ever see him in our shared dorm room is when it's time for bed but he doesn't come back till late night and he leaves early in the morning.

i'm completely fine with that though, university is intimidating enough without hot boys with blue hair around.

i do find myself wishing he would at least befriend me. it's rather lonely sitting in a cramped room by yourself, writing an essay and sipping away on a can of diet coke.

after a few more notes and a few more scribbles, i decide that i need a break. i should go out and explore the campus a little. i've been here for a week now and i hardly know my way to the boys washroom.

i slip on a pair of vans and take out the door, not caring if my hair is tousled or if my clothes are wrinkly. i don't know where to go so i just wander the halls, hoping to find something interesting.

"he's alive!" i hear a cheerful voice call.

i turn around and it's the tall tanned boy that helped me out from the first week. i think his name was george or something.

"you remember me right? calum hood?" he continues talking quickly.

i bite my lip and nod with fake enthusiasm. i clearly didn't remember him.

"i haven't seen you around in ages! i thought the pressure of university made you drop out." calum chuckles to himself.

i grimace to myself when i notice him drifting after me. i know i wanted a friend but i'd rather be a loner than befriend this cheerful and talkative loser.

"i haven't cracked yet," i force a grin.

"you just wait," calum shoots me a lopsided smile. "how's michael?"

"why do you care?" i ask. it comes out a little defensive and rude.

calum raises his bushy eyebrows and gives me a look. "just checking on my ex, is that so bad?"

"he's your ex?" i frown. "you guys are gay?"

"well i am, i love dick. i'm not so sure about michael. after he dated me he just stopped communicating with boys. i think i turned him straight." calum cracks a teasing smirk.

"oh. i don't know how he's doing, he's hardly ever been in the dorm." i reply nonchalantly.

"that's just how he is, he's always off in his own world looking for inspiration or some crap like that. aren't i enough to inspire a human?" calum asks rhetorically, rolling his dark eyes.

"inspiration for what?" i ask dumbly, completely ignoring the other part of calum's speech.

"he's an art major, didn't you know?" calum asks.

"no," i reply quietly.

"i never asked, what do you major in?"

"english."

"oh that's cool. i'm majoring in philosophy. cool isn't it?" calum beams.

i struggle to imagine him being a philosopher. as a philosophy student, he should be able to analyze complex and abstract problems. calum doesn't seem like that type of person.

"yeah, interesting. i, uh, really need to go study now. bye geor- i mean calum." luke stumbles over his words as he races back down the hall and into his dorm room.

that settles it, i will remain friendless for the rest of the semester.