xiii

i'm definitely not attracted to you silly.

michael's sentence repeats itself in my mind, i can't help but hide under my blankets and release a few wet tears from my eyes.

this whole thing is dumb. i have a paper about immigrants to hand in tomorrow morning and instead of working on it, i'm lying here crying.

i sigh and roll my body off the bed, flopping to the ground. i wrap my body with my blankets and i tiredly walk out the door.

as soon as i walk out the room, my bleary red eyes rest on the lilac haired boy slumped on the couch. he's not smiling but he's not frowning either; his expression is completely neutral.

he's staring off into the space, he doesn't seem to notice me. his bleak green eyes are trained on the wall.

"are you okay?" i ask, my voice cracky and dry.

he doesn't reply, his eyes don't even flicker. i almost think that he didn't hear me until he speaks up slowly.

"i should be asking you that. you're a loud crier," he states dully.

i feel slightly embarrassed that he heard my sobs, then i feel angry that he didn't bother to come check on me even though he knew i was hurting.

i angrily purse my lips and proceed to go and get a mug for my tea. i pour water into the kettle and set it on the stove, waiting for the water to boil.

"while you're there, make me some ginger tea." he says hoarsely.

i only realize that his voice sounds even worse than mine. michael's usually smooth and velvety voice is reduced to a strained wince.

"do it yourself," i snap angrily. "do i look like some sort of housewife to you? why don't you get off your own damn ass and ordering me around!"

"locate your chill," michael mutters. "i'm only asking 'cause my head is aching and i can hardly move."

"it's not my fault that tulip gave you an STD." i purse my lips as i put a teabag into my mug.

"first of all, she didn't give me an STD. second, her name is lily," michael grumbles.

"orchard, iris, peony, daffodil, hyacinth, carnation, sunflower, hibiscus, chrysanthemum-"

"how did you manage to get to chrysan-whatever before lily?" michael asks, struggling to pronounce the flower properly.

i glare at him and throw the nearest thing to me at him. it happens to be an empty box of krave cereal.

"hey, don't go on and be a serial killer." michael cracks up as he makes the worst joke i've ever heard in my entire life.

"i will throw a knife at you," i threaten.

"kind of an edgy thing to do." michael falls over, laughing so hard his face turns bright red.

"i really fucking hate you," i scowl harshly.

"that's not very nice," michael smiles cutely.

i have a strong urge to get my boiling water and pour it over his head; it should be illegal to be so gorgeous.

i turn my head around and pour the hot water into my cup. i stir in some sweet honey to balance out the bitterness of the ginger.

i accidentally add too much when a loud, painful cough echoes throughout the room. i turn around and i notice michael's shivering.

"common cold, don't worry too much about it." he sniffs.

"go to your room and sleep," i suggest as i pull the sleeves of my sweater over my hands to hold the burning hot mug without hurting myself.

"it hurts to move," michael whines.

i walk over to him and my fluffy white blanket trails behind me.

"stop!" he yells as loud as his lungs allowed him to with his sickness.

i'm so surprised, i freeze entirely. i even stop breathing.

michael raises his phone and takes a quick picture of me.

"was that necessary?" i ask grouchily as i take a seat next to him.

he shows me his phone as a reply. a picture of myself is illuminated on the screen. my blue eyes are wide with surprise, my soft pink lips are parted. messy blond hair peeks out of the big white blanket that envelopes me warmly. my two arms poke out awkwardly and they're clutching onto a porcelain donald duck mug.

"so fucking adorable," michael coos as he makes the picture his lock screen.

"i look like an oompa loompa," i scowl as i push the phone away.

"a cute one," michael replies, giving me a half smile.

he's driving me wild.

i place my mug on the coffee table and sit on the couch, next to michael.

he steals my blanket and wraps it over the both of us. he pulls me into his side and holds me tightly. i'm overwhelmed by how close we are, my heart beats rapidly in my chest

"you're going to get me sick," i scowl, pretending like i'm mad. 

in reality, i don't care. i would be content with dying tomorrow if it meant that i could be held in michael's arms until i'm dead.

"so what?" he asks rhetorically.

i shrug in reply to that. he smiles and stretches his legs out. his warm lips hover mere millimetres away from my neck.

"hey luke?" michael murmurs. his warm breath on my neck makes all the hairs on my body go on end.

"yeah?" i reply tentatively.

"don't cry because of me."