Chapter 23: Expect the Unexpected

It had been a few days since Shawn had seen Rey, making him sort of sad and wishing he could see his only friend at the garage. Nobody really paid much attention to him. It's because I'm better at the job he convinced himself and moved along. But eventually he found himself so lonely that he shyly sauntered into the office and asked Leia if he could go see her, knowing that she would be able to work that out for him.

"Ma'am?" he started with his slightly southern but charming twang, "I was wondering when Rey is gonna come back.. or if I could see her.." he looked down and bit the inside of his lip. Leia smiled at him and nodded.

"I can call and ask if they are okay with visitors and if so I'll give you the address. You'd leave after your shift though, understand?" Shawn grinned and nodded.

"Sure. Thank you." he said excitedly and hurried back to work. Leia sighed and picked up the phone, dialing Amy's phone to ask if Rey was up to extra visitors and got a quiet yes. They talked for a little bit before Leia shot Shawn a thumbs up through the window out into the garage.

After his shift Shawn hurried to the address gave him, stopping at home and putting as many of his mechanics magazines in a backpack first. He nervously knocked on the door and watched as it opened to the bright eyed Amy who greeted him with a smile.

"You must be Shawn." she held out a hand and he shook it politely and she let him step inside. "Rey is taking a nap right now but she will wake up soon I'm pretty sure. It's just us girls home right now." she chuckled and took his coat, letting him sit down and relax and offering him something to drink. It was about half an hour before Rey sleepily stumbled out of the bedroom and stretched, rubbing her eyes and blushing when she realized Shawn was there.

"Oh h-hey Ginge." she yawned again and grabbed a hoodie off the back of the large arm chair, not caring if it was Poe or Finn's just as long as it was big and warm and comfortable.

"Hi, Rey." he said cheerily and watched as she sat down. Her hair was messy, pulled back in only one bun instead of three, and lots of it had fallen out as she slept.

"What brings you here?" she sat down on the opposite corner of the couch from him and pulled her knees up to her chest.

"Just checking up on my only friend. Plus I brought you some magazines I thought you would like." he happily pulled the backpack up onto the center cushion and unzipped it, pulling out a stack of three or four and showing them to her. From the kitchen Amy saw Rey's eyes light up for the first time in days without Finn being there. She started to take a liking to the young boy immediately, seeing that somehow he knew exactly how to cheer her up. Probably doesn't even realize just how out of it she is.

"No way." Rey said excitedly and took the magazines into her hands and looked at them, excited and geeked out to read them. "Thank you!" she exclaimed and let her feet slide to the floor, immediately starting to flip through them and slipping into her own world. Shawn didn't complain, just sat and watched as she started to look at the pictures before actually reading it. Immediately Amy identified it as a crush and got an 'oh no' warning in her chest.

"Hey, Rey. Don't read right now you've got a friend here. Talk to him?" she didn't want him to start falling in love with Rey who was definitely already taken. At least according to her. Finn and Rey seemed pretty 'official' without being official. Rey looked up and nodded.

"S-sorry!" she squeaked and pulled her knees back up and started talking to Shawn about the different things he had been working on the past few days. Amy got lost by their conversation, sipping a mug of coffee whilst 'reading'. A few hours in Finn and Poe came in, both men immediately questioning who Shawn was and Finn looked incredibly jealous of the way the two of them seemed to talk endlessly. Oh no.. was the only thing that ran through Poe and Amy's minds when they saw that look in his eyes but the need for that look didn't last long.

"Shawn, this is Poe," Rey started to introduce them and got up to go over to Finn, "and this is Finn, my boyfriend." she smiled and hugged Finn. Her housemates exchanged glances and Finn grinned to himself. Shawn seemed indifferent to her declaration of 'taken' and smiled.

"Nice to meet you, Poe, Finn. I'm going to head out alright? Keep the magazines I've read them all a billion times. It was nice seeing you today. I hope you come back to work soon." Shawn stood up and shook the two men's hands and picked up his backpack, now empty, and held his arms out for a hug. Rey shyly hugged him.

"It was nice seeing you too. Hopefully I will be back soon. I just have to work through some things." she muttered and thought he was going to leave before he muttered something back quietly.

"It was nice meeting your boyfriend by the way. He's really cute." he let go of her and smiled before letting himself out. Rey stood there slightly bewildered and looked at the closed doors with a furrowed brow.

"What's the matter?" Poe asked curiously and she turned and looked at him with the most perplexed look on her face.

"He said Finn was cute..." everybody in the room exchanged glances, Finn's cheeks hot as the sun and all of them silently made a consensus. That was completely unexpected. 

(SHORT BUT HUMOROUS PLOT TWIST TO LIGHTEN SOME OF THE FEELS I'VE BEEN KILLING MYSELF AND ALL OF YOU GUYS SIMULTANEOUSLY WITH IT SO 

 CREEPY ANAKIN)