prologue

"Momma, momma, momma! Please?! Please, can I go?!" The sound of a cheerful four year old filled the room, her hands were clasped together and her eyes were wide. Camri Raine had been begging to go to her best friend's birthday party for three days now. Her mother, Taylor, had been hesitant because they had made special plans for that day to go to the zoo, both her and Tom were off work that day and wanted some nice family time. Camri loved to see the animals, so Taylor was shocked when she said it was okay to miss it.

"Camz, are you absolutely positive you don't want to go to the zoo instead?" Taylor asked, running her fingers through her daughters curly, dirty-blonde hair. Camri just smiled and looked up at her daddy. Tom looked back at Taylor, then nodded. "Let her go." He said, and Taylor finally agreed.

Sometimes we regret the things we say. Something as simple as the word yes being spoken can change life forever. When Taylor saw her daughter off as the other young girls mother picked her up to take her to the party she never expected that it would be the last time she would see the innocent little girls face happy and clean, she didn't realize that her saying "Bye mummy!" would be the last time the angelic voice rang through her ears.

No one knows why death comes, but it does. No one knows why it exists, why it's a thing, but it does and it is. No one knows why people decide to drive drunk, but they do. And Taylor and Tom don't know why the Lord decided to take their daughter from them so soon, but he did.

Jennie's mom was driving her to the birthday party when a massive eighteen wheeler ran a red light and smashed into the side of the car, crushing the small body of Camri Raine Hiddleston.

"Unfortunately, we could not do anything.." The doctor spoke as tears fell freely from Taylor and Tom's eyes. They had just been told. The world had collapsed around them, it was silent. There were no screams, no sobs; they were numb. Taylor hid her head in her husband's chest and held him tight, trying to hold her composure while he held her equally as tight and continued to let the tears fall.

Three years had passed, three years since the dark day Taylor and Tom found out about the loss of her daughter. Three years and one day since Taylor had said yes.

The couple walked hand in hand on the sand, the ocean breeze blowing Taylor's hair back. Her face was pale, her eyes puffy. In her hand, she held a yellow balloon. Yellow was Camri's favorite color and the color of her favorite animal, a duck. Tom was leading the two, walking slightly ahead. His toes reached the water first and he squeezed Taylor's hand at the sudden icy feeling on his bare feet. His face was pale as well, eyes puffy. It had been a quiet day, only a few words from their parents and a few words to each other. Both had decided to stay off of social media, not wanting to see the posts of their little girl who would be seven now.

"Let's do it." Taylor whispers, looking up at her husband with tears in her blue eyes. He nodded and squeezed her hand again. They prayed together and said a few words, then held their hands together and released the balloon into the air. Their eyes never left the floating object, not until it was out of sight and when it was they turned towards each other. Taylor's arms wrapped around her husband's waist and she could no longer hold in the tears or the sobs, she fell apart in his arms just like she had done three years before to that day. And Tom's tears fell hard atop his wife's hair as he held her tight just like he had done three years before to that day.

---

A/N: This entire story will not be sad, but there will be some more mature subjects and some possible trigger warnings. The chapters will be longer as well, but this is just an introduction.