t w o

Shawn Peter Raul Mendes

It all started on a Saturday night when we were 14.

That was the first time I knew I was in love with Haven.

We had been sitting in her bed, talking nonsense and throwing popcorn at each other. It had gotten completely silent somehow before she spoke up.

"Hey Shawn?"

"Yeah?"

"What do you think about the stars?" She asked turning toward me with a look in her eyes that I just couldn't seem to put my finger on.

"Well, they light up the sky, I know that."

She sighed, sounding frustrated. "But isn't there more to them? I mean, that's what everyone thinks, that they just light up the night sky. But that's not it at all, there's so much more to them."

"Like what?" I asked suddenly intrigued by her train of thought. She looked straight into my eyes, before smiling, "I'll show you."

She stood up, pulling me with her. She walked over to the window, I latching it before climbing out onto the roof, me trailing closely behind.

"The thing about the stars Shawn," she started sitting down on the black panels aligning the rooftop of her house.

"Is that they not only light up the sky, keeping the darkness away, every star means something." She paused a moment to point out at the biggest star she could find.

"Like this one, it's not just a star, it's got it's own meaning to its existence. Just like us kind of. We were all put on this earth for a reason. Some of us more reasons than others. I think that's the same way it goes for them."

"The bigger the star, the more they mean. Kind of like when we get older, we've done more with our lives than the younger people," she lay back, crossing her arms over her stomach.

"I think everything has a special meaning to it, you just have to know where to look to know what it is."

And in that moment, as I looked at Haven, her brown hair in a disheveled mess behind her, her dark brown eyes glimmering in the moonlight, her once secret thoughts said aloud,

I though that I might just being falling for my best friend. And I was totally ok with it.

The way Haven saw things in a new light astounded me. She saw past the surface of everything and anything. She knew there was more than what we saw at first glance.

And that was the beauty of it all for her.

That was the beauty of Havens mind.

Just one of the details that made me head over heels in love with her.

Ok I legit want a rooftop moment with Shawn like ok my little heart is crying
-Abbs