Nuala

~Nuala~

It was cold outside. I slipped out of my bed and skipped to the window. Winter. Nuada would be home soon. I could feel it. Every day since he had left, I had gotten cuts and bruises. I hurt a lot. I could feel his pain. He was only 16 and yet they were sending him to battles. One of the many problems with being a Prince, I guess.

My breath clouded on the glass as I thought. The sun peeked from over the horizon. I sighed and walked to my closet, grabbing my favorite blue dress. I slipped out of my night shift and into the dress. After brushing my long blond hair, I walked outside into the snow. Cold as it was, I stepped out into it, the snow dancing around my toes. I looked out beyond the hill that guarded our home. The sunlight glittered like diamonds over the snow.

“Your Majesty!” Chamberlain yelled from inside. I sighed heavily and turned to go inside. Chamberlain stood in the doorway with a look of disapproval on his face.

“You will catch your death out here, your Highness.” He said with a clipped tone.

“Yes, yes, Chamberlain. I will definitely die from standing out in a few inches of snow.” I laugh. I brush past him and he scoffs.

“I would expect this from your brother, but not from you Princess.” He remarks. I stop in my tracks.

“My brother is a hero, Chamberlain. It would be best if you did not act and treat him like a troublemaker.” I say, my words cold.

“Yes, of course, your Majesty.” He said quickly to cover himself. I strode on into the main room where my father sat.

“Nuala.” He said with joy. I rushed to him and hugged him. His hearty and glorious laugh filled the room.

“Good morning, Father.” I say, smiling.

“Ah, how was your sleep, Nuala?” He asked.

“Perfectly fine, thank you.” I say in return.

“Your brother is coming home soon.”

“Yes, I can feel it.” I say, biting my lip. He smiles widely.

“How are your studies?”

“Great. Although Chamberlain is keeping me on a short leash.” I chuckle. He shakes his head in amusement. “And it will get even shorter when Nuada returns.”

“Yes.” He says, grabbing my arm. “If there were any way to protect the both of you from this, I would be enforcing it.”

“I know you would, but there isn’t so don’t even try.” I say, sighing. He nods.

“You must excuse me this morning. My advisors insist I discuss what we are going to do about the humans.”

“What’s wrong?”

“They have gone deeper into the forest, chopping trees for miles. They will soon think that the elves have no control anymore.” He shakes his head with distaste. I nod in understanding. Right then a jolt went through me.

“Nuada.” I say, my eyes widening. I rush out of the room.

“Your Majesty!” Chamberlain exclaims as I sweep past. I wave him off and crash out of the doors as the trumpets sound. Troops march across the hill, heading to the elven city of Bethmoora, in which our mansion stood. I raced a few yards ahead, scanning the lines of troops for my twin. I instantly saw him at the head of the line. A sixteen year old elf donning the royal crown and elven armor. I wave fervently to him as he approaches. He smiles widely and starts to run towards me. I take off and we meet halfway, crashing into each other in a hug.

“Nuada.” I breathe.

“Nuala.” He says back, hugging me tightly. We both wince as our matching bruises and cuts are put under pressure from our hugging.  We walk home side by side to meet our father at the door.

“You return with success no doubt.” He says to Nuada as we approach.

“I do. I am glad to make you proud.” Nuada says in return, bowing.

“There is no time I am not proud of you, Nuada.” He says, beaming. “Now, spend some time with your sister before you are sent off to studies.” Nuada grabs my hand and we rush off outside into the snow. He leads me to our favorite tree which is now covered in shining ice.

“Are you alright?” He asked, concern tainting his eyes.

“Yes, Nuada.” I laugh. “If you are fine, I am fine.”

“Yes, of course, sister.” He chuckles. He looks out over the vast expanse of snow covered land.

“Are you glad to be home?” I inquire.

“Yes. Very.” He sighs. “I’m about ready to be rid of all these battles.”

“I have a feeling we might be fighting the humans sometime in the future.” I say. I instantly bite my lip.

“Humans. Why?” He asks in a clipped tone.

“Oh it’s nothing.”

“Cause for battle is not ‘nothing’, Nuala. What did Father tell you?”

I put my head in my hands. “I shouldn’t have even mentioned it.” I moan.

“What. Is. It?” He asks shortly.

“They have been undermining our authority over the forest, that’s all. Father and his advisors are discussing what should be done right now.”

“What we should do?!” He exclaims. “What we should do is put them in their place, sister.” His eyes are hard and full of fury.

“Nuada.” I say sternly. “We do not want war.”

He huffs a frustrated sigh. “I know, I know, but Nuala, by time they reach the gates of Bethmoora, you will want war.” He says, getting up. He reaches up into the tree and a flower bud appears, growing to its full bloom. He plucks it gently and hands it to me. I smile and accept it, smelling the fragrant flower.

“Your Majesties!” Chamberlain’s now obnoxious voice rings.

“Chamberlain calls for us.” Nuada sighs.

“Yes, now you must endure the same torture as I am.” I laugh. We stride through the snow to Chamberlain.