Nuala

Nuala~

“NUADA!” I screamed, only to have a hand clamped over my mouth. The man named George flung my bother over his horse and started leading them away as Phillip drug me after them.

Tears streamed down my face as they led us to a barn.

“Welcome to my humble abode.” Phillip laughed harshly, pushing me into a pile of straw. Nuada was dropped beside me in the straw.

“Nuada. Nuada! You have to get up!” I urged, patting his face. Phillip and George whispered to each other, but being the idiots that they were, they didn’t know I could hear them.

“What do you think of those two? Married?” Phillip asked.

“Nope. They look too much alike. The blond hair, the thing on their faces, their features, their names. Twins, I’d say.” George answered.

“That girl’s a looker, isn’t she?”

“Yeah. Prettier than any of the broads in this city.”

The rest was tuned out because Nuada then opened his eyes.

“Nuala.” He said, getting up. I pushed him back down.

“No. Where are your knives?”

“In my boot. Why?”

“Have them ready. I have a plan. We’ll play along with them in this game and when they are not expecting it, you attack. Understand?”

He nodded. “Ok.”

The men stopped talking and came over. “Now, pretty lady, come with me.” Phillip grinned wickedly. Oh no. Not what I was expecting, but ok. I stood and he grabbed my arm, leading me to the other end of this barn. He led me out the door and into the alley. Turning me around, he bound my hands with rope. I prayed to God Nuada would hurry.

And sure enough, he did. He stormed out of the barn.

“Keep your grimy hands OFF MY SISTER!” He yelled, plunging the knife into the man’s back. He howled in pain and turned to Nuada, who had a look of pure hate in his eyes.

“Why you little!” Phillip yelled, coming after Nuada. I backed against the wall of the barn as I watched them fight. Nuada easily dodged all of Phillip’s blows and kicks.

“Maybe this will teach you people not to mess with Elven royalty!” Nuada screamed, stabbing the knife into the man’s neck. The man went down, fear in his eyes. He looked up at Nuada and at me.

And with his last, dying breath, he said, “Royalty.” Then his days were done.

“What did you do with the other one?” I asked him.

“The same. Let’s go NOW.” He said gruffly.

We got our horses and left. The ride was silent until we made camp.

“Nuada? Do you want to go back?” I ask.

“No!” He snapped. I could feel that he was angry, so I said no more. We went through the rest of the night being silent.

I woke before him. I quietly slipped out of our tent. Hopping up on my horse, I decided to look around.

As I rode, snow began falling harder. “I must be getting back.” I mumbled. Then something caught my eye. Something shimmering in the snow. I hop off my horse and pick up the object. It’s a silver comb. The intricate designs on it were stunning.

Then I heard something. A cannon maybe. My horse reared and whinnied. I stood up quickly, trying to grab the reins and calm it down, but it struck me in the face and ran off. I lay there in the cold snow, flurries around me, knocked out.