Nuada

~Nuada~

“Welcome home, Prince Nuada.” Chamberlain says to me, bowing.

“Good to be back. Well, except for having to listen to you teach us every day now.” I laugh. Chamberlain casts me a dirty look for a brief instant.

“Well, shall we get onto our lessons?” He suggests, turning and heading back into our mansion. Nuala and I follow him to the teaching chambers. We sit at our study table, Nuala’s hands clasped in front of her, ready to learn. I snort.

“What?” She asks.

“Teacher’s pet much?” I laugh. She shakes her head and punches my arm, which in turn makes her flinch.

“Dear sister, you cannot win a fist fight with me.” I laugh. “We are too connected.”

“Indeed we are.” She says with a look that could kill. I chuckle and grab a slate. She does the same, poised attentively as Chamberlain talks on the science of matter.

“Now, Prince Nuada, tell me what things make up matter.” He says to me.

I sigh. “Matter…Takes up space, or in your case lots of space.” I laugh.

“You Highness!” He says, his face contorted in anger. “You are to tell me what makes up matter without any little comments.”

“Well, no comment on you is little.” I say.

“Nuada.” My sister hisses. “Just tell him before you get in any trouble. Please.”

“Oh all right. For you, Nuala. Matter is made up of atoms, cannot be destroyed, and takes up space.” I sigh.

“Very good.” Chamberlain says, his voice short.

“Princess.” He says sweetly to Nuala. “What are the three states of matter?”

“Solid, liquid, and gas.” She replies. Our lessons continue off. I tend to drift off multiple times only to have Chamberlain’s annoying voice telling me to wake up; it is not a nap time. Does he not realize I have been to battle and back?

We are sent off for lunch, in which Nuala and I eat with our father.

“Chamberlain tells me you are giving him a hard time, Nuada.” Father says to me as we eat.

“Only meant as jokes, Father. Nothing to get snooty about.” I chuckle.

“Either way, you should not give him trouble. He is to teach you and you are to listen and learn so that someday you and your sister can rule over Bethmoora as I have.” He says sternly.

“Yes, of course.” I say, a bit ashamed. Nuala sits next to me, eating quietly.

“Nuala? Nothing to say?” He asks her.

“Nothing. There’s nothing to say.” She says quietly, wiping her mouth.

“Nuala? Are you ok?” I ask.

“Yes, perfectly fine.” She says in an assuring voice. She stands and walks out of the room. It doesn’t feel right. I quickly stand and chase after her.

“Nuada!” Father calls. I ignore him and keep going. I follow Nuala into her room.

“Nuala, are you alright?” I ask.

“Yes.” She laughs. “Am I not allowed to finish early and come to my room?”

“You were acting oddly.” I tell her.

“Was I? Hmm. I didn’t notice.” She shrugs.

“Princess Nuala!” Chamberlain cries. She sighs.