WUTHERING NIGHTS (chapter twenty-one: Revenge)

Chapter Twenty-one

Revenge

     Hampstead Heath had a thin film of lavender mist hanging over it during winter as she headed for the Glass House. There were very few people in the meadow at this hour of the day. Kate was invigorated from the cool air in a way she wouldn’t have been had she stayed inside. Her usual routine - a light lunch, nurse Katarina, read or do some yoga - before wading through the play script that lay in wait for her had been replaced by her ramble.  She had more ideas about the design of the play she was working on and had brought paper with her to sketch the arboretum. The garden was the central motif in the play and she wanted to take another look at the architecture.

       Kate tied her horse up and got him some water. As she did this, a familiar horse rode towards her, or maybe she just thought his markings were familiar. As she looked closer through the clearing, it was the rider she recognised. He was slightly older, leaner, yet unmistakably the man who had filled her every waking dream and now her nightmares.

    Heath alighted from his horse in the easy manner of a country squire.

    Kate looked over at him. Even from a distance, she could hardly believe he was real.

   He walked towards her, slowly, with purpose.

     Before they spoke she reached over when he paused to touch his face as if to ask the vision before her if he even existed.

     ‘Heath?’ She whispered.

     ‘Yes,’ he replied. ‘It’s me.’

     ‘But…you’ve been gone…for three years. I tried to find you. What happened? How did you come to be here?’

     ‘Perhaps I should be the one asking questions. I saw your marriage notice in the paper not long after we parted.’

      Kate was silent for a moment.

     ‘You left me,’ she said.

      Heath’s face displayed a knowing, hardened expression with more than a twinge of anger.

     ‘I am staying at the pub. I have business with Harrison in relation to Hareton Hall. I went around looking for him but there was no one at home. I saw your car in the driveway and I didn’t think you’d be far. The horses were there - all except Hero. One of them was practically biting his way out of the stable, so I thought I’d take him out. He seems to remember me.’

    Heath patted the animal and went to tie the reigns.

   ‘Business… with Harrison?’

   ‘Yes. Greta told me you’d be here. You might be interested to know that I am soon to be the new owner of Hareton Hall.’

   ‘How?’

   ‘Harrison mortgaged it to my company; he lost his money gambling. The house was going cheap and I put a down payment on it. I officially own it as of…about three minutes ago. ’

     Heath smiled. Kate knew she didn’t have the full details of the matter but suddenly realized how good he must feel.

     She visibly shivered as Heath took her gloved hand in his.

     ‘I am to be your new neighbour Mrs Hunt.’

     Kate sighed, never having doubted, in the faint possibility if he ever revealed himself to her again, Heath would one day be the stronger of them.