WUTHERING NIGHTS (chapter thirty-one: Revelations)

Chapter Thirty-one

Revelations

    Once Kate heard about the trouble in Annabelle’s marriage, Kate decided it was time to speak to Heath, alone.

    Kate was rugged up in her usual riding gear and had the car keys in her hand, making a rattling noise which woke her sleeping husband. She’d woken up early and told Edmund that she was going for a walk.

   ‘At six in the morning, darling?’ he asked sleepily. ‘Should you really be going out in your condition? The air is like ice outside.’

   ‘Of course,’ Kate said. ‘I have the car. I intend to walk the easy path. It’s my new regime,’ she said, sarcastically. ‘Besides, exercise is good for the baby. Now go back to sleep…darling,’ she added as an afterthought.

    Kate pulled on her overcoat and looked into the mirror. At eighteen, when Kate had married Edmund, she’d felt older than her years. Now she was barely twenty-one and she had never told Heath why she had married Edmund so quickly; never told Heath why the pictures hadn’t been splashed all over the papers; why the marriage hadn’t been announced. He probably guessed and didn’t care. There were so many mistakes that had been made and more than enough time to put them right, even if somebody got hurt in the process. They were meant to be together and that was that. She had telephoned him, asked him to meet her.

    When Heath arrived at the glass house, having pulled up in one of his sleek sports cars, Kate knew she had to gauge his behaviour.

    She moved to touch him but he pulled away and turned his face. Kate wondered if he had already fed that morning on Magenta or… if his tastes had become more refined and… diverse. Kate would have offered her blood to him there and then if she’d felt it would fix the situation between them and not harm the baby. 

    ‘Why did you want to meet me here Kate?’ Heath asked in a weary tone. Heath noticed her messed up hair. 

    ‘Look at you. You’ve just got out of Hunt’s bed. I never thought I’d see the day…’

    ‘Heath…he’s my husband…If it makes you feel any better, we have separate bedrooms.’

    Heath’s eyes combed her face, her body, her round belly hidden under the coat. Kate must  have thought he was really stupid.

    ‘Why do you need to talk to me when you’ve got him?’

    ‘I needed to see you again.’

     Kate touched his hand, and all the emotions were like before. She could not deny this passion and Kate wondered if Heath felt the same.

    If he did, he didn’t show it.

    ‘I’m asking you not to…hurt Annabelle. She’s been a good sister-in-law to me, a good friend to us both.’

    ‘Oh, this is rich, sticking up for the other woman. What do you call this then? I’m sure if she knew we were meeting in secret she’d be thrilled,’ Heath added sarcastically. Then he moved towards Kate. At first, it seemed like he was going to kiss her. Instead, he was distracted by the baby’s heart beat and placed his hands over his ears.

   ‘Having a baby…makes it impossible for me to leave now. It does not mean I love you less.’

    Heath looked at her, ‘And you brought me here to tell me that? As if I didn’t already know? How could you Kate? You should have waited for me. I just wanted proof that Harrison had lied, and then nothing would have kept me away from you.’