WUTHERING NIGHTS (chapter twenty-two: Reunion)

Chapter Twenty-two

Reunion    

He was tempted to twist her arm with more than a little bit of force. Tempted to kiss her wrist, plunge his teeth into it, suck her blood and drain the life out of her. But he held back. If she’d come too close, he didn’t know if he’d be able to control himself. Since he’d turned twenty one, everything had changed. Even with medication, he spent his nights out hunting, baying for blood, preying on animals when he couldn’t resist. So far, he’d drawn the line at innocent humans but he craved their energy, especially Kate’s. Her blood had always been tempting to him.

     ‘I waited for you to return,’ Kate repeated, frustrated with the tone of the conversation, ‘until I could wait no longer.’ Her words were greeted with stony indifference as they walked together, yet apart.  ‘I would’ve waited for you forever, if you’d just sent me some word...a proper explanation.’

     ‘Well, it didn’t take you long to make your choice,’ Heath said bitterly.       

    ‘You gave up too easily…’ Kate said incredulously.

    Heath continued to talk. ‘Stupidly, I left quickly, without talking to you. I went to find the doctor on Harley Street; I thought he would be able to shed some light on Harrison’s lies, give me proof we were not brother and sister. My specialist was abroad. By the time I walked back to the bedsit to find you, it was almost midday. I went past that tiny pub near Dean Street where people had already congregated and was caught in the middle of a fight on the footpath. I don’t know how it happened but I was knocked out and found myself in the back of a van being taken for questioning by the police. They locked me up that night and as we didn’t have the telephone, I couldn’t speak to you. I passed out.

     Without my supplies, things just went from bad to worse. I became delirious. When I woke, I was desperate to find you.

     There was a girl and a man that night as I walked back to our flat, and they were fighting and he brought out a knife. There was no one else around and when he threatened her, then me… I… snapped. I did not know my full strength. It was the first time I ever… fed on a human. The girl fled. The man was alive when I left him but I felt so despicable. Still, I wanted to find you, though I could hardly face you. You weren’t at the bedsit and…I believed he would have killed the girl if I hadn’t…stopped him - but I was out of control by then. I vowed never to let myself become like that and to find out the truth about…us.’

     Kate was shocked; she didn’t know what to say.

    ‘Perhaps in some cases…violence is justified. I am not afraid of you, Heath.’

    ‘Their fight started with a few misplaced words and a punch being thrown out on the street…but ours started so much sooner. We were always from two different worlds, Kate, but two halves of the same whole, even so.’

    Heath looked embarrassed as he told Kate the rest of the story.

    ‘I tried to contact you. I’d spent the night locked up and a further day talking my way out of everything - it’s a long story - there was no match to me on the man’s person so they couldn’t charge me. Oh, that’s the latest thing, my…fingerprints have disappeared.  And… when I look in the mirror, I barely see my image. But I’m still okay in the sun, as long as I wear this.’ He pulled out the amulet her father had made sure he wore as a young child.

      ‘I was very…angry when I got back to Hampstead. I felt…unworthy of you, but I was determined to find you. I had my answer from Dr Vincent and I was satisfied the necessary tests had been made to ensure we were not related. Then, I made my way back here to Hareton Hall and walked across this park. It was almost exactly three years ago today.