1: The People's Gala

ONE: THE PEOPLE'S GALA
AUGUST 22
KATE DIAMOND

IT WAS ALL SO PERFECT. The catering was delectable, the décor was arranged beautifully, and every member of the Royal Family was dressed in their finest evening wear. It was the night of the People's Gala—an annual party hosted by the Diamonds at the end of the summer to celebrate the people of the World of Magic and raise money for various different charities. Kate's mother, Queen Clarion Diamond, prided herself to put together the best Gala every summer and each one was more extravagant than the last. That particular Gala, Kate had a lot to celebrate.

Two weeks ago, she and her friends, the Eight, performed a spell to go back in time and change history. They prevented an attack on the Veil and saw its perpetrator, Reagan Grave, Banished. By doing so, they prevented a list of deaths.

Mariella Bradley
Danny Rogers
Dr. K
Cam Miller
Wil Diamond
Nikolaus Briggs
Liam Heart

She kept the list in her journal so she would never forget the good they'd done. And it was the last name on that list she was exceptionally happy about. Before dying at the hands of the magic-syphoning Vacancy Stone, Liam Heart confessed his feelings for Kate. Too scared to face the truth in her own heart, she never got the chance to say it back. Since they had come back, she still hadn't said anything but not because she was afraid. She was waiting for the perfect moment.

There were no more Darks after them or looming threats in the distant shadows. They didn't have to rush through moments that were fleeting or wonder if the last time was going to be the last time. They could finally stop surviving and start living.

That Saturday, Kate was in her room putting on the final touches for the night when there was a knock at the door. Standing there in an emerald green gown and dripping in precious jewels was Kate's twin sister, Wilmarie. She'd straightened her curly, chestnut-colored mane and her makeup was as stunning as ever. She flashed Kate a smile and then said,

"Hey there, smoke show. You almost ready to head down there? Leo says it's absolute madness."

"Generally is," snickered Kate, fumbling with the fishtail braid her honey blonde hair was in for the night. It was actually Wil who'd suggested the hairstyle after assuring her it would look great with the high-neck, open-back red dress she was donning.

She shouldn't have been surprised her sister was offering styling tips but until recently, the girls hardly behaved like sisters. They spent much of the last few years feuding with each other and remaining as separate as two individuals could be. Now, after everything they'd been through, they were more than twins. They were actually friends.

"Did you see Nic out there?" Kate asked of Nicole Bradley, her best friend who'd been staying at the palace since last week.

Nicole was born and raised in the Mortal World and only learned about magic months ago. After changing the past, Nicole returned home to Pittsburgh and told her parents what she knew—conveniently leaving out anything about the Eight and the alternate reality they'd lived together. She insisted on attending the Academy for her senior year and because her sister, Mariella, was already spending the summer in the World of Magic apprenticing under the Queen, Mr. and Mrs. Bradley were happy to send Nicole off as well.

Wil shook her head and scratched at the inside of her forearm where a tattoo of a rope with eight knots was inked. Once the Eight made sure the Veil was intact and Reagan was Banished, the tattoo made a reappearance on Wil and Cam—both of whom died and were resurrected. Luckily, the tattoo's reappearance was painless—as was when the missing knots added themselves.