6: Girl-Pause-Friend

SIX: GIRL-PAUSE-FRIEND
SEPTEMBER 4
KATE DIAMOND

"...AND THE ONLY REASON YOU should enter the nest of a horn-tailed dragon is if you have a death wish," Levi Heart joked to a room full of seniors sitting in Dr. K's class. It was Friday morning and though the excitement of a new year was still fresh, everyone's focus had shifted to the soccer game that weekend.

        It was the home opener and all over campus, members of the team posted flyers to promote the game. The buzz was so great that it practically overshadowed any news on campus—such as the arrival of the specialized research assistant, Damon Donovan, or Levi "the Beast Tamer" Heart's new gig as Dr. K's assistant teacher.

        After learning about the Eight from Liam, Levi chose to take a break from his tour and help out at the Academy. Dr. K was thrilled for the assistant—even if Levi's idea of teaching strayed far from the textbook and relied more on personal experiences. On that particular Friday, Levi somehow got on the top of various types of dragons—a species which was nearly extinct in the Three Realms.

        "I think what Mr. Heart means to say is that we should probably just avoid the nests of any beast," Dr. K followed up to say, like a disclosure at the end of a pharmaceutical commercial. "Though I'm certainly glad to hear he made it out of that scuffle."

        Levi held up a finger before adding, "Ah... Most of me made it out. I did lose half of my big toe."

        Two rows to Kate's left, Levi's brother Liam chuckled before assuring the class,

        "It's true. Nearly chewed the thing clean off. Looks like a cross between a toad and one of those wonky baby carrots you find at the bottom of the bag."

        The class laughed and Kate stole a glance at Liam, hoping to catch his eye. She did—but only for a second before he quickly blinked away and rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly.

        She frowned. Surely that wasn't the reaction she was hoping for—hell, his reaction was hardly in the same realm of possible reactions she was hoping for. Since the Gala and their return to school, it was almost like Liam was avoiding her. And while she tried to convince herself that wasn't the case—even relying on Nicole's half-hearted belief that he was simply just adjusting to being alive again—she became surer of it every day they went without speaking. Sure, he had practice after class every day and he was getting back into the swing of things but the longer Kate went without knowing the status of their relationship, the crazier she went.

"YOU COULD JUST CORNER HIM and ask," suggested Phoebe during breakfast the following day. The Academy was alive with Knight pride as the game grew closer but rather than perfecting the perfect Academy crimson and violet spirit look, Kate was obsessing over her uncertain relationship with Liam.

        "I don't think cornering him is my best idea," Kate replied sheepishly, sinking into her seat when she did. "Has he said anything to you or Drew?"

        Wil snickered, flicking a raisin out of her oatmeal. "Katie, sweetie, Liam Heart is not the kind of guy who talks about his feelings with his friends."

        Phoebe nodded with Wil, hiding behind a chuckle. "I stand by my earlier statement," she said, popping a grape into her mouth. "Just ask the boy."

        At the head of the Dining Hall, a loud pack of soccer players consisting of Drew Briggs, Xavier Fallon, Alex Hummel and Quinn Harvey entered. They hooted and hollered their way in and their enthusiasm was not only received well by the others eating there but matched as well. Kate looked at her friends as if to tell them to forget their recent conversation but never got the chance to say anything before the boys sat with them.