5: Welcome to the Academy (Again)

FIVE: WELCOME TO THE ACADEMY (AGAIN)
AUGUST 31
NICOLE BRADLEY

"WHATEVER YOU DO, IF A guy tells you that he wants to study for Magical Beings in his room, the only magical being he has in mind is his penis," Mariella Bradley was saying while she walked with Nicole up the stairs of the North Hall. The girls were in the process of locating Nicole's luggage which was supposed to have been delivered by the palace staff. So far, no luck.

"Got it," Nicole replied, fighting the urge to laugh at her sister's unsolicited advice. Mare was a bit excited for Nicole's year at the Academy and a year ago, she probably would've been annoyed with her sister's enthusiasm. But that was before she lost her sister and then got her back again. Now, she wasn't taking any moments with her sister for granted.

"And there's no such thing as a love potion so don't let anyone—"

"Mare, I got it," Nicole cut her off, actually laughing that time. They exited the stairwell onto the fifth floor and began scouting the open rooms for her missing luggage. "I've been in high school for three years now. I think I got it figured out."

"I know but this is the Academy," Mare stressed like it was a big deal (which, for the record, it totally was). "I mean, two weeks ago, you didn't even know magic was real. You thought I was away in boarding school in Connecticut."

Nicole chuckled, because her sister didn't remember the last few months like she did. Sometimes, keeping the secret about the Eight and changing history was hard—like when Mare was confused why Nicole was so relieved to see her—but then others—like almost every other time when Mare was working closely with Queen Clarion (one of the people that could absolutely not know the truth)—made keeping the secret easy. Besides, how could she tell her sister that in an alternate reality, she was dead? Or that her death was what started everything else bad too?

"Well I'm glad you're rooming with Kate," Mare said as they continued searching. "I've known her for a while and I think you guys will get along great. Wil too. She's a little abrasive at first and if I'm being honest, she's never actually said a single nice thing to me. The entire first year that Leo and I were dating, she called me Bear and jinxed my shoelaces to knot themselves when I walked. Oh! And let's not forget how she once—"

"I think I'll be fine," Nicole assured her and ducked into an open door which happened to lead to Phoebe Domingo's room. She was sitting on the floor, cross-legged, while Drew was reclined in her bed and some girl Nicole had never met was putting away a substantial amount of sweats.

"Hey Nic!" Phoebe said when she saw her there, though the smile practically disintegrated when she saw Mare over Nicole's shoulder. She scratched under her freckly nose like she was suddenly very uncomfortable but Nicole wasn't sure why.

"I thought you were rooming with Kate on the second floor."

"I am. I think the guys at the palace misplaced my luggage. It wasn't in my dorm."

By the dresser, the girl faced Nicole and stared awkwardly, almost like she didn't know what to say.

"Oh, right. Duh. You guys don't know each other," Phoebe chuckled nervously. "Nicole, this is my roommate, Bess Walker. B, this is Nicole Bradley. She's new this year."

Bess smiled in a quiet, Nice to Meet You, way and then resumed her unpacking. On Phoebe's bed, Drew lifted a hand to wave and when he did, she caught a glimpse of the titanium wedding band on his finger. She wasn't sure how they would address their marriage or if they ever planned to but she was happy to see them together.