Chapter o9

When Chase and Kate finally returned to Val’s house, Kate was half asleep. Val was sitting on the porch, sipping some tea.

“Thank God, you found her.” She said in relief. Chase nodded and Kate stirred in his arms.

“It’s not like I ran away Val. I went to Brian’s house.” Kate said. Val raised her eyebrow.

“Don’t you mean your house?” She asked. Kate shrugged and Chase let her down.

Val shot a glance at Chase and he just shook his head. Kate walked in the house and went straight to the guest room that she was staying in. She took her cell phone out of her pocket and flopped down on the bed and dialed Brian’s number.

Hey this is Brian, leave me a message fuckers.’ Kate sighed and closed her eyes.

“Brian, it’s Kate. Look, I just called to hear your voice but like always you’re too busy for me. I miss you Brian. But I can see you don’t miss me. I wish you would call me or at least send me a text message, anything to let me know that you remember I exist. Okay well, goodbye I guess. Love you.”

Kate hung up the phone and threw it across the room. It landed on the floor and slid out to the hallway. Pinkly, who was under the bed, shot out and went to retrieve the phone. She pushed it back to Kate’s foot with her nose.

Kate sighed and picked Pinkly up and held the dog close.

“You still love me right?” She asked her. The dog yipped and licked her cheek.

Val knocked on the door frame and Kate looked up.

“Everything okay?” She asked. Kate took a deep breath and plastered on a fake smile.

“Yeah Val, I’m fine. I just called Brian, now I’m just waiting for him to call back?” She said.

Val looked at her long and hard for a moment then she smiled.

“Okay. Because I need you right now.” She said. Kate patted the spot next to her on the bed and Val sat down.

“What’s up honey?” Kate asked.

“I’m scared about when it’s time to have the baby. Matt won’t be here. What if I can’t do it Kate?” She said.

Kate smiled and hugged her tightly.

“Oh Val, honey. You can do it. Trust me and I’ll be right there with you I promise.” Kate said.

Val sighed and rested her head on Kate’s shoulder.

“I don’t know what I’d do without you Kate.” Val said. Kate kissed her temple.

Kate thought back to the night before Brian left for tour. He told her the same thing. She closed her eyes and laughed in her head.

‘Yeah.’ She thought.

‘Looks like you’re doing pretty well without me.’

Val sat up and started to walk out of the room.

“I’m going to turn in. Are you gonna be okay?” Val asked. Kate nodded.

“Yeah, I’ll be fine. Goodnight hun.” Kate said.

Val smiled and went to her room and closed the door behind her.

Kate sighed and went to have a cigarette. Just as she lit it up, her phone rang. It was Zacky.

“Hey Zack.” She said disappointedly.

“Baby?” Kate’s eyes just about popped out of her head.