Chapter 2.1: The Friend

Reine avoided thinking of herself as immortal. The thought of living forever scared her more than anything she'd encountered in her already long life. She'd never met anyone else like her, but they had to exist. She didn't have proof, but she couldn't be the only one with this curse.

Dying and coming back to life undoubtedly left a person confused and in shock, mistakenly believing they had been just close to death. The associated memory loss was nature's way of wiping the slate clean for them to make a new start, but it made the adjustment that much harder.

These people most likely only began to understand - and more importantly actually believe - that something remarkable had happened when they no longer got sick, didn't age, and most noticeably, always healed from their injuries.

At least this is how it had happened for her.

Witnesses to these miraculous events may have started resurrection myths like those about vampires. This was ridiculous, of course. While the undead in folklore and storybooks feasted on the blood of the living, they shared only the most banal similarities with the life Reine now led.

The role of blood was likely a key to why she was unable to die naturally, but it wasn't because she had to drink it. It was science, plain and simple.

The cellular regeneration causing the potential for reanimation, superhuman skills, enhanced senses, and general invincibility she possessed must have been from either molecular inheritance or genetic mutation within DNA carried throughout the body via the circulatory system. If it was possible for Turritopsis nutricola - the so-called immortal jellyfish - then there must have been a chance for people to have a similar ability.

In terms of the other staples of supernatural lore, garlic, holy water, and crosses were obviously red herrings invented by superstitious folks to give themselves a sense of protection from the perceived evil. The historical methods of killing a vampire were likely the most accurate parts of legend and would probably be the only way to truly kill an immortal. It was unfathomable to heal or regenerate after staking through the heart, beheading, or burning.

Because she was frozen in time and could physically only resemble a certain age group, Reine had to move and change her identity often. She was relatively lucky to have features that could pass for 18 as easily as 28 years old, so her life was disrupted about once every decade.

It was always an uneasy change, though. The more often she did it, the more likely her actions would be noticed. And the next time would be even harder because she'd immensely miss the young woman who'd woken her with her knocking and was standing in front of her now.

"Morning, sleepy head! I thought you'd never answer the door," Noor exclaimed cheerfully as she stepped into Reine's 1892 Queen Anne house. "So, what's his name?"

Reine furrowed her brows. Noor Hamad was her only real friend, but she never talked to her about men. Even though on the surface their relationship was that of sisters, she had very strong maternal feelings toward the younger woman and didn't think it was appropriate.

Still, Noor's question unwittingly made Reine think of the handsome journalist she met a day and a half earlier. However, there was no way for the girl who'd already made herself comfortable on the couch to know about their encounter.

"What on earth are you talking about?" she asked.

"Ha! I was right." The girl giggled. "You're blushing. I'm talking about the Beemer parked in front of the house. I thought you had a guest."

"Oh, no, that's mine. There were some great after-Christmas deals so I traded my old car in." Reine lied with a slight twinge of guilt. She didn't want to unnecessarily burden her friend with the whole truth.