Chapter 38: The Wedding

Reine ran down the corridor of Palazzo Baldovini, passing a row of windows on one side and shut doors leading to the various rooms on the other. Her boots clacked on the gray Carrera marble floors as she slowed just enough to chug an ice-cold Mimosa from the champagne glass in her hand. Hastily depositing the empty vessel on a carved pedestal next to a huge arrangement of holly, winter-berry, and jasmine, she continued onward under the sixteen-foot ceilings decorated with Renaissance-era frescoes.

The cherubs peeking out from behind fluffy clouds no doubt were smiling today at her last minute scrambling.

She almost ran past the oversized, gilded door she needed - they all looked the same even after a month of living here - and her long, turquoise wool coat caught between her legs. Steadying herself on the door handle to keep from falling, she pushed down on the latch and burst through the door.

"I can't believe how late we are!" she exclaimed, slamming the door behind her. "The others left ages ago."

"Have they?" Noor said as she adjusted the faux-fur trimmed sleeve of her cream colored coatdress in front of a floor length mirror. "I guess if I have the prerogative to be late on one day, it would be this one." She smiled at her reflection.

Reine stepped behind her and peeked over the girl's shoulder. "True, but I doubt you want your friends and family freezing while they wait, so let's get moving. But first," she said, taking out a black, velvet bag from her pocket. "I have your wedding present for you."

Pulling the drawstrings open, she poured a double strand of pearls into her palm. Attached midway was a circular, smooth stone almost identical to the one hanging around her own neck. The only difference was that Noor's was of black opal and contained a miniature portrait of her soon-to-be husband, Malik Thompson.

Reaching around her friend's shoulders, Reine draped the jewelry around Noor's neck and fastened the clasp. "I commissioned this from a man descended from the artist who made mine, if you can believe it. Only in Italy can you find such continuity in craftsmanship, I guess."

"Oh, Rennie." Noor touched the pendant before turning around and embracing Reine. "Thank you," she whispered. "Thank you for everything."

Reine cleared her throat to keep herself from crying and kissed the girl's cheek. "My pleasure, sweetie. Now, let's really go."

The duo exited the room and headed toward the grand staircase.

"Don't you want to peek in on the boys?" Noor asked as they began their descent.

Reine shook her head. "They'll fuss if they see me, and then we'll be even more late. Mathilde has it covered." She smiled, knowing the nanny who helped raise Amara was more than capable of handling the twins.

"I wish they were big enough to come," Noor lamented, holding the hem of her coat so she wouldn't trip.

"I know. Me, too." Reine sighed. "I'm just glad they were finally big enough to be allowed home. Those two months in the hospital were way too long."

Arriving at the bottom of the stairs, they passed through the massive living area that sat where the former courtyard used to be. Covered with a roof in the last century, the space replaced what was lost to the private art gallery that now took up the other half of the building. Even so, the residence was still much more than a family of five and their guests could fill.

At least the spare room was being currently put to good use, holding all of the shipping boxes holding the contents of Reine's Maryland home. Pennsylvania eXpress Logistics had just delivered everything a few days earlier and it was all waiting to be unpacked.