Chapter 20.2: The Plane

The drive to the Orleans regional airport turned out to be the most uncomfortable road-trip she'd ever taken. With Sylvana squeezed between the two Frenchmen in the back seat of the SUV, Reine could almost feel the woman's gaze boring a hole into the back of her head. At least on the plane she could put several rows between them, and she breathed a sigh of relief when - after forty-five minutes - they pulled up to the gate marked "Chartes Privées."

Following a quick check of their identifications, the guard let the car roll through and drive all the way up to the designated spot. A few minutes later, a sleek, white jet taxied from the runway before coming to a final stop just twenty-feet away.

After the roar of the engines ceased, the door of the plane flipped downward revealing the stairway. A uniformed man stepped aside and let a young woman with fiery red hair emerge.

"Morgan! Did you know she was coming?" Reine beamed at Max, but opened the car door before he could answer.

Meeting the smiling girl at the bottom of the steps with a lengthy hug, she pulled away when another familiar figure appeared in the opening. Wearing his trademark dark suit, Mal had to duck to pass through the low door. His face was expressionless as he took the stairs two at a time.

Reine heard the third passenger's voice before she saw the figure.

"Alhamdulillah! Finally, we can get some fresh air," the girl exclaimed before stepping into the sunlight.

"Noor!" Reine yelled as she left Morgan behind and ran up the steps.

The young woman squealed with delight and met her halfway.

"Oh, Rennie! I was so afraid you wouldn't want to see me. I don't expect you to ever forgive me, but-" she lamented, but Reine pulled her into a tight embrace.

"I'm so happy that you're here. That's all that matters." She smiled, letting go of her friend.

Noor reciprocated the gesture before her eyes widened. "Your hair. You've gone blonde on me and I . . . I love it!" She caressed a lock on Reine's shoulder with a giggle.

"Ahem. Ladies, if you'd care to resume the reunion on-board . . .," Mal interrupted. He was holding Sylvana by the arm and waiting at the bottom rung.

"Are we all going together then?" Reine called down to Max who'd also left the car and was approaching with their bags.

He stepped around Mal and began ascending. "Yes, darling. We're just taking on some fuel, and then we'll be on our way."

"Darling?" Noor smirked before pulling Reine inside the aircraft.

It was the same jet she took back home after Gabe's death, but being surrounded by friends now tempered those painful memories. As with everything else Max owned, this plane was also pure luxury. From the tan, leather seats that comfortably accommodated eight passengers to the polished wooden trim work that accented the cabin, travel couldn't get any more stylish.

Noor led her to a group of four seats where Morgan joined them.

"Kenzie couldn't come?" Reine asked as the redhead sitting across from her buckled her seatbelt.

Morgan laughed. "Ya didn't think I'd leave wee Amara with those two barmy blokes, did ya? I wouldn't trust Mikey and Dodger with Frankenpuss let alone a five year old. But when the boss man called yesterday to bring your friend over, I decided to come along to see how you're doing. So, how are ya holding up, ducky?"

"Oh, still somewhat in denial, I guess." She glanced at Max two seats in front of her. The move didn't escape Morgan's attention.

"Wait a minute! You two?" She gestured, pointing her finger between them.