Chapter 11.2: The Necklace

Max pulled the car up to the curb in front of a brightly lit façade, but gestured for her to stay before saying, "Just wait a moment. I've got something for you."

Reaching behind her seat, he took out a small, square object and handed it to her. She opened it slowly; the hinge of the wooden box relenting reluctantly, as if from disuse.

Although she wasn't shocked at getting a present from Max - he seemed to be generous with his wealth - Reine wasn't prepared for what this particular gift contained.

Dozens of ivory colored spheres were double-strung on two fine, golden chains. After carefully examining the silver dollar-sized, dark red stone pendant with the large tear-drop shaped pearl strung below it, did she recognize the gift's significance.

It looked exactly like the necklace in her Venetian portrait.

She ran her index finger over the cold surface of the stone. "It's amazing," she said.

"You were wearing it that night. It was the only thing afterwards I had left of you," Max whispered. "I've been waiting all this time to be able to return it. I want you to stay with me, Reine. I hope you'll reconsider."

He was watching for her reaction, but she wasn't sure how to answer. Instead, she fumbled with the box in an attempt to remove the necklace.

"Here, let me help you put it on." He took the piece and gently draped it across her bosom before fastening the golden clasp at the nape of her neck. "There. Back where it belongs. Take all the time you want. I can wait for your answer. Now we can go."

He turned from her and exited the car with one swift motion. The vigilant parking attendant also opened her door, letting in the cold, winter air.

Once they were both standing on the sidewalk, Reine looked up at the brightly lit marquee above them. "I thought you said we'd be going to dinner, but this looks more like a movie theater," she observed.

"That is actually both correct. You see, this is the old Byrd Movie Palace. It was a theater until the 1950s, but then it fell into a state of disrepair and was vacant for the next fifty years." The topic seemed to make Max more verbose than usual. "Tonight is its grand reopening as the newest - and best - gourmet restaurant in Philadelphia. All of the proceeds from this event are going back into the local historical trust which funds the refurbishment of old buildings that aren't as lucky in getting commercial help for a new life."

Those were some interesting parallels between Max's personal and professional life. Not only did he assist their kind with carrying on their extended lives, but he also made sure buildings were able to do the same. Both were very noble tasks, and as he held the door open for her, Reine was proud to be sharing in this celebration with him.

A cheerful hostess greeted them in the reception area to check their invitations to the private event. Leaving their coats with another attendant, they went into the main lobby.

The gilded ceiling was two stories high, and the walls were lined with alabaster marble topped with hand painted murals depicting posh scenes from the early Twentieth Century. The crimson carpet held low glass tables surrounded by plush chairs. Leather couches also dotted the large rectangular room, which ended with a magnificent bar.

A large, crystal chandelier sparkled above the space, while dozens of wall sconces gave off a soft yellow light, making the atmosphere warm and inviting. A few people in formal attire were still mingling over half consumed drinks. By the sight of the empty glasses on many of the tables, however, it seemed most of the other guests had already moved elsewhere.

Max had the same idea. "Since we're a bit late, I think we better head straight in."

On the way, an approaching waiter offered them champagne in delicate, crystal flutes. Reine declined, but Max took hers as well. Downing it in a swift gulp, he returned the empty glass to the silver tray.