11-All hell breaks loose

22/1/01

Hacker

We all knew something was going to go wrong. No plan this vague would go without hitch.

Unfortunately, it was even worse than we expected.

It started well and we got into MIDMA without big problems.

"Take another left at the next turn," Esme instructed through my earpiece.

"Guys, we need to turn left," I said quietly, hyper aware of how dangerous our position was.

They nodded, and stopped at the corner, waiting for the all clear.

"Oh hang on. Damn, there's a patrol heading down that corridor towards you. Find cover, quickly!" Esme shouted into my ear, panic evident in her voice.

"We need to hide. Now." I whispered

Iris's eyes widened in panic, but Maya and Joshua barely reacted, immediately hurrying towards the nearest alcove.

As we huddled in the alcove, my heartbeat was all I could hear. Blood rushed through my ears. It was so loud that I wouldn't have been surprised if the others had heard it.

Thud. Thud. Thud. Thud. Thud. Thud. Thud. Thud.

This was it. The end.

But then, somehow, the patrol passed us, but it wasn't until we heard the sounds of their metal boots fade into silence, that we finally ventured out.

"All clear." Esme sighed with relief.

We hurried around the next few corners, closely following the instructions from HQ. At last, we reached the central security and electricity control room. As planned, it was empty. We may want to destroy US power in Europe, we refused to commit mass murder, to kill those who were simply brainwashed by the Americans.

I quickly hacked the locks and security protocols, so the alarms don't go off. Maya and Joshua immediately got to work wiring multiple bombs and other explosives, too quickly for Iris and I to fully comprehend. We stood at the door stun guns raised, ready to shoot at anyone coming this way.

Things were going to plan. Not for much longer though.

Maya and Joshua began to clear up their tools, packing them back into the small rucksacks they'd been provided with.

"You guys already done?" I asked, sceptical.

"Yep. All we have to do now is wait until we're far enough away so that we won't be affected by the blast. Then we press some buttons and boom, MIDMA becomes rubble."

I smirked. Finally we were doing something that might really help Europe fight back. To end this tyranny we were living under.

Confidence rushing through us, we headed out of the room, joined Iris, and started hurrying back the way we came.

We all suddenly stopped when we heard footsteps echo down the passage we were hurrying down.

"Esme?" I whispered into my mic. "Why didn't you tell us there were still personnel in the building?"

"I'm so sorry! I was watching Ben's speech, checking on their progress, and the security camera scans didn't alert me!" she said, sounding frantic. She was silent for a few seconds.

"It seems okay, There's only one of them, unarmed, you can easily take them down and take them out of the building, so they won't be affected by the explosion. There's no one else in the building now, so your only restraint is that the explosion needs to happen in roughly 10 minutes from now when I signal for it."