No. 19

"In my distress
I called upon the Lord;
to my God I cried for help.
From His temple
He heard my voice,
and my cry to Him
reached His ears."
-- Psalm 18:6

<<<<<<<<<<

    I stood on the porch no longer than a moment. I was giddy from my date with her, still lost in my daze of what had happened. It all seemed to go so fast, I barely had time to think about how it could've gone better, or how blessed we were that it didn't get any worse. I sighed happily, twisted the doorknob, and stepped in, shutting the door firmly behind me.

    A wave of tension washed over me, quickly dismaying my spirits, but I held onto the hope I had been granted. I continued smiling as I looked up at my parents and Grandma staring at me with almost fearful expressions. My dad had both of his palms pressed against the counter top while Grandma stood by the sink and Mom was leaning against the wall.

    "Did I interrupt something?" I asked quietly, trying to forget my worries about Pearl as well as the rest of their souls when my worries came running back.

    By the look my dad gave me, I certainly did. Fear crept up my spine and my fragile hope shattered. Something was wrong.

    Mom didn't even try to cover up the panic on her face. Asher was hiding behind her legs. Grandma plastered a smile on her face as she came over to me. I hugged her and was about to pull away when she whispered, "I am so sorry Tin. I love you. I didn't mean for this to happen. I knew you were just trying to help Pearl. I tried to explain it to them, I really did."

    I backed away and gave her a strange look. If I didn't feel uneasiness before, I surely did now. I stopped when my shoes hit the stairwell.

    "Tin!" Asher shouted happily. He tried to come running to me, but Grandma scooped him up and he just stared at me with joy in his eyes. I grinned at him.

    "Hi Squirt," I said, trying to sound lighthearted.

    "Fletcher," my dad growled in a low voice.

    Grandma backed away to Mom and held her hand tightly.

    "D-Dad?" I stuttered quietly. My knees were weak and I tried not to look at Asher.

    "What have you done?" he asked, sounding furious with me. "I forbid you from going to church."

    "I... I know," I whispered, dread filling my heart. "Lord, help me. Please," I prayed silently. I could feel my heart pounding hard against my chest. I also felt a voice whispering to me about how it would be okay. God would protect me.

    "How could you go against my words! I told you that I didn't want you becoming a Christian!" he shouted, spit flying from his mouth. "I am your father, you have to listen to me!"

    I swallowed, at a loss for words.

    "You have no idea what you're doing! You're just a child, becoming something horrid by your own mistakes!" he boomed, growing angrier by the minute.

    "You can forbid me from going, but you can't forbid my belief!" I said loudly, trying not to pass out.

    He came closer to me and I trembled in fear of him. I glanced at Grandma who had tears glistening in her eyes. I gave her a weak smile. Then my father grabbed my by the arm and yanked me from my place on the wall to the middle of the kitchen where we faced each other.

    "Tell me you don't believe it! Give me some hope you obeyed me!" he demanded.

    "I..." I looked to Asher, who was watching with wide eyes silently. "I can't. I believe."