Chapter 37

*DEAN'S POV*

I was sitting at a round table in the cafeteria of the hospital. Noah and Jonah's parents and the guys went to go pick up some food. Mia and Noah were sitting in the room with Jonah.

I took a sip of my water and noticed an old African American guy with grayish hair and with a hospital robe on staring at me. I ignored him and took another sip of my water. About five minutes later, and he was still staring at me.

I narrowed my eyes at him. "Do I have something on my face?"

Creepy old man..

"Just these nuts on your forehead" he said.

Well, I wasn't expecting that.. I couldn't help but chuckle a little.

He got up and slowly but surely approached my table and sat down. I just arched an eyebrow at him.

What does he think he's doing?..

"Stop staring at me like I got two heads boy" he told me. "What's your name?"

Oookaay..

"Dean"

"Nice to meet cha Dean, I'm Melvin, but just call me Mel" he offered his hand to shake and I shook it. "Why ya here Dean?"

I looked down. "Wouldn't you like to know"

He scoffed at me "Damn smart ass"
I rolled my eyes. "My friend. He uh.. He got into a bad car accident"

"I'm sorry to hear that son. Hope he gets better. I'll say a prayer for em"

I chuckled humorlessly and shook my head. "Thanks"

"Ahh.." He sat back on his chair. "You don't believe in God"

It wasn't a question.

"I don't know.." I shrugged. "Even if I do it doesn't matter. He hasn't done anything for me.."

"Are you breathing?" He asked.

I looked at him weird. "What does that-"

He cut me off. "Answer the damn question son"

I sighed. "Yes, I'm breathing"

"Are you alive?"

"Obviously.."

"Do you have money in your pockets?"

"Yes"

"Do you have a roof over your head? Food in your stomach? Clothes on your back? And shoes on your feet?"

I dropped my head and sighed. "Yes.."

"Then he has done everything for you. You just need to learn to appreciate it"

As much as I hate to admit it, he's right..

I looked up at him and nodded my head understandingly. "Why are you here?"

He smiled at me. "I'm living with a bitch, and her name is Cancer. She won't let me go, says she loves me too much. Says she would die without me" he laughed. "But I'd live without her. Ain't that a bitch.."

I didn't find that funny.. So I just stared at him.

"Oh lighten up son" he waved me off.

"Excuse me if I don't find Cancer a comic worthy topic"