Darrell

What could her name be? Beth is a nickname for so many other names. Annabeth, Clarabeth, Elizabeth, Lyzbeth, Marybeth, Bethan, Lilibeth ... How was I supposed to find out through all these names? Or maybe she was just plain 'Beth'...

I thought about this all as I was doing my final shift at that damned ice cream shop. Ray swaggered in just I was closing the door. I was still pissed at him for ditching and diving but I was also glad he did it because I got to meet Beth. 

"So how was work, dude," he said acting all innocent. Two could play this game.                                             

"I called Stacy and told her you ditched work so she is giving me your pay for today" I smirked. That lazy smile was wiped clean off his face. Stacy was our manager. 

"Also, she is giving me the employee of the month award. So give up trying to get it," I continued, looking around innocently. A flash of anger passed over his face.                                                                      

"Dude, I was only trying to get you to meet that girl and you threw it all at me," He only became angrier when I burst out laughing. I pulled out my phone and grabbed his neck and took a picture of the both of us. He swatted my arm but smiled. 

"What?"  

"You should have seen your face," We laughed some more and finally parted. 

                                                           ........................................

When I reached home, I found mom on the phone as usual, trying to work out some business deal with some business owner. Who cared? She could just as well drop the phone right now and we would be fine. But no, of course she is making us work our damn asses off....

I stopped myself thinking on that path before it got to far. I love my mom and she felt a little guilty, that was all. I was just in a sour mood and my sisters heavy metal music  did not help at all.

"CAN YOU TURN OFF THAT HORRIBLE MUSIC, Sweet heart ?" Yeah, it sound  weird to hear a boy call his sister sweetheart but we have used this names to tick each other off since we were young.

"sugar plum, as much as  i hate to say this, go die,