5

"Amazing," Hoot said, "I've never seen anyone as stubborn as you are I pity you even more now All this effort for nothing"

"Stop pitying me!" Maka fired the two pistols at once and got knocked back, unable to hold her balance.

Hoot jumped to the side.

"Now, this is just pathetic," she shook her head, "I can't look at it anymore. I shall put you out of your misery"

Sitting on the ground, Maka raised her hand and took another shot. The witch bent her head to the side a little to evade it.

"Wow, you aim has gotten better," she said sarcastically, "Too bad there isn't too much that you can do with it now."

It seemed that no matter how much Maka tried, she couldn't pull the trigger again. The pistols fell out of her hands again, and she dropped down onto her knees, looking down.

"Finally, you've given up," Hoot smirked and started walking slowly towards Maka, "You know, we didn't really have to do this. The more you push yourself, the more painful it is. Death is one thing that should be quick and painless. I could have given it to you that way, but no, you have decided to struggle"

"Patty, let's change back!" Liz cried tensely.

"Dont" Maka whispered so quietly that it was barely heard.

Liz and Patty were about to complain, but then they saw a smile on Maka's face and realized that somehow she had everything under control. Hoot finally approached and leaned towards Maka. She slipped her hand under Maka's chin and lifted her head straight up. With a quick jerk, Maka grabbed the witch by the throat. Hoot shuddered as her eyes met Maka's, and then she felt the pistol pressing against her stomach.

"We all try hard at something. You too, have tried hard to make me believe something that was not true," Maka smirked.

She pulled the trigger several times. Hoot's body disintegrated and disappeared, leaving nothing but her soul floating in the air. At the same time, the magical dome vanished as well. Maka stood up, and Liz and Patty returned to their human forms.

"Yay! You did it, Maka!" Patty cried excitedly and took the witch's soul in her hands, "And since you used me to kill her, I will be the one carrying her soul."

Liz still looked confused.

"I don't understand," she muttered, "I thought you couldn't move"

"I thought so, too," Maka said, "But I figured out that it was just an illusion. That witch was playing with my mind"

"Illusion?"

"Sensory illusion. I've read about it, but I've never encountered it until now. That witch used her magic to trick my senses. I wasn't exhausted or pained, but her magic made me think that I was"

"Err Even so, how did you find out that it was an illusion?" Liz wondered.

"In order for that kind of magic to work, the spell caster must make the victim believe that the feelings are real. As soon as Hoot said that her owls were chipping away at my soul, and that she was collecting it in bits I knew that she was lying. Souls can only exist as a whole. If a tiny piece somehow broke apart from the rest of the soul it would die out immediately. And because she was lying, there must have been a reason for her to do so. Her story just wasn't believable enough. Maybe, her owls were the ones creating the illusion, but as soon as I figured out that it was just a mind trick it couldn't affect me any longer"

"So, wait if you does that mean that you were faking after that?" Liz exclaimed.

"I'm quite an actress, am I not?" Maka smirked