Part IV

Ayame's POV

I rushed to my seat beside Chief Yagami, Matsuda stood up and let me pass.

"I apologize for my tardiness. Somehow my clock was broken." I said, hearing Mugen's laughing behind me. An irked mark formed on my head.

Damn you, Mugen.

A good quarter of my paychecks goes to purchasing alarm clocks.

"It's alright, Ayame-san . I just got here myself a few minutes ago." Matsuda said so proudly. I chuckled at that taking out a grape flavor lollipop out of pocket.

"Alright you two, quiet, the meeting is just about to begin." Chief said to from my left. I placed my own head set on myself.

Where are we you ask? ICOP (International Criminal Police Organization) . Mysterious murders of heart attacks have been the whole worlds main attention. This was an uproar conversation.

'Fifty two in the past week that we know about, each one from cardiac arrest,'

'These criminals whose whereabouts are unknown and known by the police are dead. Behind bars or not.'

'But they're all violent criminals who deserve the death penalty several times over.'

'That's right. Violent criminals or death row inmate if someone kills them it's murder!'

Of course it's murder, there's no doubt about it, keeping my thoughts to myself. 52 deaths...I am upset I couldn't find him before this happened.  I wanted to avoid this but making it national news was unavoidable.
I would count this as a failure I try to spend most of my free time and connecting some dots but to no avail. It was like I was close but I completely missed something and Mugen can't tell me anymore than the notebook in the human world. So this is all on me solo figuring it out but I wasn't completely alone, Mugen always on my side, but with my career I do have connection.

The connection to what I'm applying I am one of the best detectives from my completed cases and it's not just from my capabilities but my connection to the Underworld.  I have a powerful contact, he is feared and respected, one of the heads controlling the crime that happens in Japan.
Now the whole world is aware of this unnatural phenomenon. Heart attacks deaths of wanted and arrested criminals. So word already reached the Underworld.

I tapped the lollipop stick on my mouth thinking I do have concern of my contact falling into Kira's hands....notebook on this case.

'Maybe these are carried out by a large organization , capable of pulling something like this. I would believe it is the CIA or the FBI.'

'I dare you to say that again!'

That's it I had enough I thought as I stood up removing my lollipop.

"Enough!", I shouted, "We can't loose focus. Instead of fighting and arguing with one another the matter that there is a serious threat, a killer no less, out there killing in one way that's odd. Please focus." I took deep breath and exhaled, and sat back. Discarding the stick and pulled out an orange flavor this time.

'Who was that?'

'A woman?'

Really?

'Isn't that Japan's detective?'

'Miss Kurosaki?'

A few around us questioned.

'She's right. It is a problem if we condemned prisoners , with so many dying.'

'You can't track down a murder when the cause of death is a heart attack.'