t h r e e .

spencer.

"come on bro, it was still a nice game."

how many times am i going to hear that?

spencer sat on the rusted metal benches in the locker room. the guilt around him seemed to weigh his head down and into his hands. dylan, his best friend, stood behind him, his hands pressed supportingly on his back.

the game had been over for two - maybe three - hours. yet, spencer feels as if he is still on the field. he still feels as if he is running down about to catch the ball. he still feels the same amount of hope and importance that rested on his shoulders. he still feels the amount same failure he did when he saw a rival player jump in front of him and intercept it.

he would bet the students that once cheered so loudly for him on the bleachers were now probably throwing darts at his head. his fellow players had already left - mostly with girlfriends - to drown their sorrows in alcohol. oh, and the coach? probably thinking of replacements for him right now.

so why was spencer still here? why wasn't he with his girlfriend? or even his family?

guilt.

so he didn't plan on leaving. he didn't want to see the disappointing faces of the people he cared about. nope, he was just going to sit here on the cold bench in the same reeking uniform, pitying himself. 

i've got quite the life, don't i?

spencer groaned before burying his head deeper into his hands, as if that would protect him from all the troubles around him.

"look," dylan's voice snapped him out of his trance. he forgot dylan was even there. for once out of the time he was there, spencer brought his head up to meet dylan's angry eyes. dylan's eyebrows were furrowed and he had a scowl on his lips as if he was disgusted in what his friend had become. 

well, spencer disgusted too.

"so what if you missed a fucking pass. no one blames you. it wasn't your actions alone that cost us to lose the game. so get your sorry ass up and let's leave because i am done trying to feel sorry for you."

despite the situation and anger in dylan's voice, spencer couldn't help but smile.

that's why he kept dylan around.

🎈

dedicated to Defend because I, like most of the Wattpad population, adore her story Potter.

This chapter is kind of bad, but whatever. I'm not used to writing about males so please excuse me if the dialogue isn't realistic. vommit and choke, darlings.