Chapter 5

The day of Quinn's execution, I was up early. I hadn't slept the night before, actually. I had been pacing my room and wishing futilely there was a way to save her. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized there really was no way to do so.

Since it was a public event, thousands, maybe even millions, of people would be there. The Supreme Chancellor was even attending, with his two assistants. That meant that Quinn's mother would have to witness her own daughter's execution. I shuddered at that thought. As the Padawan of the executioner, Anakin got a front-row seat and had persuaded the Council to give me a front-row seat as well. Thanks.

Senators would be there, including the newly-restored Senator Padme Amidala Naberrie of the Naboo. There was no way I could save Quinn, even at risk to my own life: we'd both die before we could leave the arena, making everything pointless. Though I would gladly give my life for hers.

So early that morning, I snuck out of my room and started off in search of the basement floors of the Jedi Temple, figuring that Quinn would be there. I wanted to see her one last time.

In the archive room, I quickly pulled up a map of the Temple and tried to figure out how to get to the cells from the archive room.

"Looking for someone, young one?"

I jumped. "Oh, Master Ki-Adi-Mundi!" I exclaimed. "I didn't see you there!"

He smiled kindly at me. "It is early for Padawans to be awake--oh. I apologize. I didn't recognize you there, young Zenila. You are a Jedi Knight, aren't you, my dear?"

"No apology needed, Master," I said with a slight ow.

"What were you looking for in the Temple? Perhaps I can help you," the kindly Master said to me.

Nervously, I fidgeted with my fingers.

"Well?"

"I was looking for the dungeons, Master," I confessed quietly.

"The dungeons? My dear child, what could you have lost in the dungeons?" Master Ki-Adi-Mundi chuckled softly. "You haven't been getting into trouble, now, have you?"

"No, Master," I replied. "I-I-I wish to see an old friend one last time." My eyes began stinging, and I felt the all-too-familiar lump in my throat. "Quinn Sharu."

Master Ki-Adi-Mundi looked shocked. "She is your friend?"

"One of the few."

He sighed. "She is but a child. Young, trainable. And yet, we execute her. It is sad that she has turned to the Dark Side and committed treason thus."

I swallowed down a sob building in my throat, not wanting Master Ki-Adi-Mundi to see me cry. "She is not a Sith," I managed around the lump in my throat. "Had she truly grasped how evil the Sith are, she would not have studied their arts in order to protect herself."

Master Ki-Adi-Mundi shook his head. "Dear one, the Council has found her guilty of being a Sith." He began walking down the halls. "If this is what you truly want, I will take you to her."

"Maybe the Council found wrong, Master! I had nearly turned her back to the Republic when she was kidnapped. I don't think she's a Sith."

Master Ki-Adi-Mundi said nothing.

"If there was any way to stop it, I would. She is one of my best friends, Master," I pleaded.

"Child, remember attachment leads to jealousy, jealousy leads to hate, hate leads to anger, and anger leads to suffering," Master Ki-Adi-Mundi said solemnly.