001

(Kaitlyn)^^

I get off the bus to the dirty old field of students walking around. I throw my hood over my head, continuing my way to the entrance of the brick box we call school.

As I enter the building, I bluetooth connect my headphones and scroll until I choose a song. I blast the volume at a considerably loud level to tune out the outside hallway chatter noise.

I successfully make it to the dilapidated, rusty green locker that I'm stuck with until graduation. We supposedly switch lockers each year, but I've been fortunate enough to get the same one each year. I beat on it three times, and it pops open–classy. I fling my bag in there and slam it shut.

I usually grab any notebooks and supplies I need for classes after homeroom–a fifteen minute, pointless intermission class. It's also dependent on whether I'm going to skip or not.

"Hey!" A loud voice calls out.

I turn around, turning down the volume in my headphones. Who is this loud that I can hear them through my music?

The tall figure booms down on me. I scrunch my eyebrows at him. What does he want?

"Yeah?" I answer, sliding my headphones from my ears to hang around my neck.

"There's this Halloween party coming up, and... wait, you're Kaitlyn, right?" The kid asks.

I nod my head.

"Great! It's seniors only, so don't go inviting any underclassmen—"

"—Yeah, sorry, parties aren't my thing," I interrupted, pushing past him.

"Wait Kaitlyn!" He calls out.

I turn around to acknowledge him again.

"The host specifically asked me to invite you—not that I know why—I mean you don't seem like a party kind of gal. I take it you want me to leave you alone now. However, I have to hand you this before you go," he rambles, handing me an envelope with my name neatly written down.

"Wait, the host... Who's the host?" I question.

"Umm... Michael Pierce, the guy who throws the most well known Halloween parties every year," he answers in a condescending tone.

"Right... Michael?"

"You're kidding, right—"

"I know who he is, the football kid, but why exactly does he have his do-boy handing me some invitation to a party I couldn't care less about?" I question, scoffing.

The bell rings.

The kid shrugs, "I have no clue. See you around though."

I look down at the envelope again: Kaitlyn.

I made it to my homeroom class late, as usual. My teacher oddly didn't question me for being late this time. I sit at my usual table in the back, next to my good and only friend, Henry.

I give him the nod, and he returns it. He's one of the few people who actually earned my trust. I keep my circle very small–not like I have a choice–but it's better this way.

His coffee-colored eyes followed my hand, "What's that?"

I shove the envelope into my back pocket, "Just a stupid party invitation."

"You got invited to a party? Is this some alternate universe?" He sarcastically remarks.

I laugh, "Funny. Honestly, I have no clue why anyone would invite me. It must be some sort of prank."

"Did you open the letter?"

"No, and I don't care to. This baby is going to the trash."

He laughs, "Who invited you though?"

"Oh, wouldn't you like to know?" I smirk.

Henry folds his arms, "Hey, I'm not jealous, just curious. Okay, maybe a little jealous, but c'mon it can't be too much to ask."

"The football player who apparently throws 'the most awesome Halloween parties', Michael, personally invited me," I dramatically taunt, smirking.

"Oh whatever, the kid's a jerk anyway."

"Only a jealous person would say that," I continue to taunt jokingly.

"You're not going anyways, so who cares," he shrugs.

"Apparently you," I laugh.

"Okay, I just want to know why the team captain, someone you've never spoken to before, is personally inviting you to his Halloween party."

"Yeah, I don't know," I lied.

Admittedly, Michael and I have a very short history together. We unofficially met sophomore year–but who knew he would remember me? He probably wants a larger turnout for his senior year.

The bell finally rings for our next class.

I can't lie and say I didn't sneak a peek at Michael before he left out with his sidekick. Why is he now reappearing? He seemingly exploded in popularity overnight, and he definitely gets plenty of attention from girls. So why is he trying to get my attention now?

"Are you going to bio or skipping?" Henry asks, breaking me from my thoughts.

"Yeah, let's go." I stand up.

// KikADot \\