Chapter 4

Chapter 4

I am guided to a room that is 20 times the size of mine. There was a long wooden dining table in the center of the room that looked like it could feed the whole village. Pushed under the tables were very uncomfortable looking chairs with wooden frames (some places had bronze) and a soft cushion to place your bum on. Ha, ha, I said bum. There I see the Queen sitting on one end of the table, and King Raymon or Daddy is sitting directly across from her. They seem to be deep in conversation, but the room falls silent when they spot me. Oh great, all the attention on me.

I smile and curtsey, I promise it's the last one of the day for me! They all nod and cheer, clearly excited about my being here. The girl that looks similar to me except a little taller, and with lighter hair smiles at the King. She stands and doesn't do a stupid courtesy to greet me, I like her already. She throws her arms around me in excitement and joy.

"Oh, Melani, I thought you were dead. I'm so happy you're here, and you're alive!"

I hug her back. I feel terrible, all of them are so clueless. Her dress is the same style as mine, gold lace as well, except the dress itself is purple.

"Um...I m-missed you." I play my role.

She squeezes me tighter. "I am so sorry that I said what I said. I'm okay if you join the elves in the war against Rodriguez. It's okay if you become a huntress." She whispers in my ear. Well, I guess I was right about Melani being a fighter. She wanted to fight for her people, now that's the definition of bravery. Not me killing knights to prove a point, or throwing princess' off of cliffs, but for someone to stand up for what they believe in.

"It's fine, we can talk later." I whisper back. I'm interested to know more about Melani wanting to become a huntress.

I take my seat at the table, right next to my sister. There is a silver goblet at my place along with utensils, a napkin, and a gold plate.

"Melani, my dear, your back." The King says in a flat tone. The war must be worrying him. "We are all very delighted that you are safe."

"Safe." I mumble to myself, probably the farthest thing from it. I've had two people try to kill me already.

"See Isla, I told you we'd find her." The Queen says with a gleam in her eyes. Isla, I've heard that name before...or at least seen it.

I think back, Isla Demana. That was the name of the person's whose office I ran into to get those bandages...and where I found the necklace again. Did Isla leave it there...does she know I'm not her sister?

"You did mom. I just can't believe it."

King Raymon takes a sip from his goblet. Unlike Isla's and I's, his and the Queen's were gold. I look in my goblet and it smells of sour grapes. Wine...I'm assuming.

"So how was your trip to the Human Realm?" The Queen asks, you can hear the distaste in her voice when she speaks the words Human Realm.

I think, well Melani would probably say: Oh, it was fun. Met some people, did a few things, got stabbed with my own dagger.

I tried to think of something convincing. "I stumbled there on accident really. I was just in the woods, practicing archery-"

The King spits out his wine and Isla turns to face me at the mention of archery. "W-were you in the Forest of Älvor?"

I nod.

"Y-you know that's where the war is, you were told not to go there!"

"Now father." Isla intervenes.