Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Eventually my black gown turns back into a deep purple cloak, I don't even know how it changes in the first place. I keep running until my legs feel like spaghetti and eventually I just fall. I am completely aware of the fact that I am on the opposite side of Demana, the Forest of Älvor. I actually find myself going in circles. But now, I'm just in a grassy field with nothing to see for miles.

I sigh in defeat and plop myself on the ground. I wonder what time it is? I mean, if they even have time in Demana. It is completely pitch black and the stars dot the sky like little light poking out of a huge blanket. I lay myself down on the grass and just look up.

I know one thing, that the Human Realm and Demana share a sky full of stars. I spot some constellations. My favorite, Leo. My eyes scan over the sky a little farther and I spot Orion...and his belt. I giggle to myself, thinking about the myth of Orion. Boy, was that guy something? Right now, I'm not even thinking about my journal, not even Janyia, or my sisters...but my mom. She died not too long ago from kidney failure. I really miss her, and it's times like this when I wonder why I have such a big imagination. Maybe it's so I don't have to think about her and start crying, like I am now. My mom was the one who taught me how to bind journals.

I lift the sleeves of my cloak and see all the lines going across my arms. At times when I feel defeated, and my journal is worth nothing to me. That's what causes those lines to appear. Janyia is the only friend I have, but sometimes I do trade her out for my journal.

Looking up at the sky, I find a clear spot and sigh.

"Hey mom, I know it's been a while. Look at the mess I've gotten myself into...holy cow. Anyway, I'm just letting you know that I know you're still there. We don't get to talk much anymore, I have become more attached to my journal than I care to admit. But...I'm going to change that. I'm going to talk to you more often, and my sisters, and my friend, and hopefully make more. The first thing I have to ask you is: What should I do now?"

I blink, and tears roll down my cheek. This is the first time I've cried in a long time. But soon, I am alert. I hear a faint growl in distance. Uh-oh! I stand and do a 360°. Nothing. I start walking backward, and that's when my foot hits something pointy. Maybe a stick? I turn to see a 13 foot creature towering over me. Last time we met, I was Princess Melani, but now I'm Shavonte Cross.

"Hello." I say politely.

The best roars in return. It's breath is foul, like a rotten skunk. Dang, what the heck do they feed the wildlife in Demana?

I lower myself on one knee and bow, then I gesture toward the bow sticking out of its right paw. Its head lowers to where I'm looking, at least this lion seems intelligent. Its blue eyes are struck with fear, but I continue anyway. It swipes at me with its other claw, but looses balance. The only other way the lion can harm me is if crouches down, but I am not letting that happen.

"This may hurt, okay?" I inform the lion. I pet its paw before putting both hands around the broken part of the arrow, and pulling with all of my strength. The lion whimpers as the arrow slides out of its paw slowly.

When I finally get the whole broken piece out, I chuck it aside and look at the lion's wound that is now oozing a silver like substance. I pat down my sweater that I am now wearing again and feel the Alkea (golden dagger). I move to the other pocket and feel bandages. How did those get there? I shrug and tear off a piece to clean the wound. Then, I carefully apply the wraps to the black lion's paw. When I'm done, I put them back in my pocket and back away so I'm standing at least 20 feet away from the lion.

"Now, if you want to kill me, then at least it can be a fair fight. Well, as fair as you can get when a 13 foot lion is fighting a 13 year old girl."