Chapter 17

Gerard pov

As the court reopened the doors of what exactly happened last trial, the harder and harder it became to listen. It was like pulling a band aid off a wound that wasn't done healing.

About half an hour in, my mother leaned in and whispered, "Do you want to go home?" It was obvious I was upset, but I'm not leaving until I hear the word guilty leave that judges lips again.

"No. I'm okay." I assured her as I clenched the clutter of used tissues that were in my hands.

My mom looked like she wanted to say more, but stopped as we heard Mr. Davis begin defending his client.

"Your honor, Mr. Hood was under the influence of multiple intoxicants and that is the reason for his actions that night."

"Objection." I hear the prosecutor rebuttal as he shot up from his chair.

"Sustained." The judge nonchalantly dismissed, causing the prosecutor to sit right back down.

"The defendant has been through many months of rehabilitation, and I believe he is ready to be put back into society...with a few alterations to his rights."

The court was silent. He just purposed that they let him go! I think we all know that is never happening.

"I'm calling a recess." The judge announced, banging the gavel twice against the wood of his raised desk.

The court broke out into conversation and I couldn't handle it. I stood up just in time to see Brian being guided away. He turned his head and his eyes met with mine. I was stunned by his stare; I couldn't breathe or speak. He only frowned, but was forced to tear his gaze away as he was pushed into another room. He looked different. His hair was shorter and facial hair was unevenly growing in patches on his chin. He looked older and empty...

"Gerard?" My mother reached for my hand and held it to get my attention. "Are you alright?"

"Uh, yeah. I'm going to go to the restroom. I'll be right back." My mom dropped her hand and leaned back against the bench. I squeezed my way through the isle filled with people and exited the room. I didn't realize how stuffy it was in there till I entered the hallway were a cold breeze met my skin.

Considering the size of an average building in Belleville, this place was huge. All the walls were a cream color with oak trimming that matched the judge's desk.

I followed down multiple corridors before finding the bathroom and frankly, I have no idea how to get back to the courtroom.

Before I entered, I heard a familiar voice from around the corner. I hesitated before backing up and eavesdropping.

Dr. Armstrong was standing there talking to a women I've never seen before. He looked stressed and the woman looked annoyed. "The lawyer for Mr. Hood said they are going to try and get a deal with the prosecutor. More rehabilitation instead of jail time. Soon we can put all of this behind us."

"Behind us? Billie, you killed that poor boy!"

"Be quiet! Look, I didn't mean to alright?!" He rested a hand on the women's shoulder. "I'm sorry, love, but to be fair, the person who is really at fault is getting punished."