1: An Univited Guest

~Annabelle~

I was never one to think I was pretty. For a 17 year-old girl, I'm very short and too skinny. Standing in front of our only mirror, I search for my imperfections. Knatty, greasy, and uncombed golden blonde hair reaches the middle of my back, my dull hazel eyes are nothing to compliment, my unfortunate height of 5 foot has me a head shorter than my family and friends, and from all the farming I do, 10 hours a day, my skin is permanently tan with a freckle once and a while.

Sighing, I decide to go to our family's bathroom to scrub off the thin layer of dirt coating my skin, before dinner. My mother is a dictator for manners and I don't feel like getting one of her lectures tonight. I trudge down the hallway and head into the bathroom. Stripping my work clothes, one step at a time, I lower myself into the cold water that was left from this morning. Using the little soap that we share, I scrub every inch of my body clean. Submerging my long hair and washing it gave me relief of greasy and knotty hair. Once I've done my cleansing, I decided to relax in the water and think...

What if I didn't live in a world ruled by such monsterous creatures? Would I be able to get the education I deserve? Could I get a job that doesn't involve leaving me exhausted and broken? Would I find love? Love... What if one of these monsters is my so called "mate"? I would never leave my family for such beasts! But then again... Would I have a choice?

On the verge of screaming, I knew I had to stop thinking of such scenarios. Climbing out of the tub, I grabbed our one of two towels and wrapped it around my body. Making my way to my room, I opened my door and sit down on my lumpy cot. I looked through my poor selection of a closet and picked out an old purple sweater and worn-out grey sweatpants, passed down from my mother, for evening lounging. Once I've dried my naturally wavy hair, I put on my clothes on and make my way to the kitchen in hopes to see my family.

Halfway down the hallway, I hear a voice that warms my heart and comforts me 24/7. My bestfriend, Connor Gunther, is here! I run down the remaining hallway and pop into the kitchen only to be welcomed by a smiling face.

"Hey Doofus! I'm glad you finally decided to show your beautiful face! I've been waiting for 10 minutes!" He says, coming up to me and wrapping his arms around my petite waste in a hug. I wrap my arms around his neck and giggle when he lifts me in the air to spin me around.

When he sets me down, he quickly kisses my cheek in a friendly manner, and stands tall while he slips his very large hand into mine. When I look around the kitchen, I see both my parents with warm smiles plastered on their faces while their eyes stare at us in "aw". On the other side of the kitchen were both of my brothers, Jacob and Micheal, who both looked like they had just seen a toddler pick their nose and eat the booger.

"Next time, get a room please so I don't have a visual of that in a place where we make food." Jacob said while making his way toward the exit.

"Yeah! Just get married already and move out!" Shouted Micheal while following Jacob as they both left the kitchen.

I felt all the blood rush to my cheeks, in obvious embarrassment, while I heard a deep chuckle beside me that came from Connor. I scowled at him and punched him in the arm playfully while I tried to compose myself back to normal.

Connor has been my best friend since he was the young age of 6, while I was trailing behind at 5. Our families stayed pretty close when we found out that his mom had gotten really sick. Connor, being 6, the oldest, couldn't handle healing his mom while feeding and caring for his two baby sisters. My mother took his sisters in to care for while he worked at the farm with me to feed his family. We bonded together quickly and soon we became the best of friends. After 6 months, his mom had healed completely and we split ways. Once every couple of days, Connor and I had made a habit to see eachother and either play games or talk. As the years went by, the visits became less frequent and the time we spent together became more valuable.

My parents and his mom believe that we are meant to be together. Even though we are a year apart, we fit together like two peas in a pod. To say Connor was handsome was an understatement. He was near perfection! He had chocolate brown hair that was long enough to cover his forehead but not long enough to get in his eyes. His golden tan skin was perfection from being outside and farming all day like me. His bright blue eyes sparkled when he showed off his gorgeous white teeth in a big smile. He stood tall at 6 feet 2 inches and never slouched.

Of course I love Connor, but I've never thought about taking our relationship to the next level. Sure, he's brought it up a couple times, but I shot him down saying we have to worry about our families and their well-being. I can't focus on a relationship when my family needs help! Plus, Connor can do better than me. Once a year, when Connor and I make it to the market, I've seen plenty of gorgeous girls blinking their eyes flirtatiously at him to get his attention. He can't settle for me when there are girls like them!

Being brought back to reality, I turn to look into Connor's baby blue eyes staring down into mine while a friendly smile creeps onto his face.

"What are you doing here, Connor? It's pretty late, shouldn't you get home to your sisters?" I curiously questioned, but some-what relieved to see his gorgeous face in my house once again.

"What? I can't see my favorite little human before I go home from work?" He replied smirking at me.

I chuckled quietly as I realized he called me human. In a world like this, it's almost turned into an inside joke when you call someone a human.

"Well stay as long as you want, Connor. I'm sure Annabelle is very happy you are here. If you would like, I'm making my famous lasagne for dinner, and you are welcome to stay." My mother finally spoke up as she made her way across the kitchen to start cooking.

"As much as I would love to stay for your cooking, Mrs. Stray, I have to go home to my family and eat dinner with them. I only came to have a quick conversation with Anna to catch up on things. Thank you for the kind gesture though." Connor replied to my mother with his million dollar smile.

"Oh dear, anytime! You are always welcome with open arms!" My mother replied to Connor as I grabbed his arm and dragged him back to my room.

Connor was always an easy person to talk to. For the next 30 minutes, we told eachother jokes and what was new in our lives. He always makes me laugh until my stomach hurts. It's good to forget about the world we live in for a while and appreciate the little things.

"It's always a pleasure seeing you Annabelle. It's like I have to pray that they won't take you away from me. Every time I come see you, I'm scared its my last." He commented suddenly getting very serious. "What happens if you find a mate and they take you forever? I don't think I'll be able to survive!" He whispers, sorrow and worry clouding his face.

"That won't happen, Con. I won't let it! I need to care for my family and I would never leave you! I'd rather die!" I say, trying to reassure him that they can't control me.

Suddenly, Connor's features were changed to a new emotion. Anger. "The thing is Anna, is they can control you! And they will! No one is left to make decisions anymore that aren't brought through the royal kingdom! We are their puppets and we do whatever they want! It's totally unfair!!!" He raged till he started shaking. I thought he was gonna end up breaking something.

I felt something wet drip down my cheek. I never realized before, but my vision was blurry and I couldn't control the water droplets rolling down my face. "Please, Con. Let's not talk about this anymore." I whispered so lightly that I thought he might have not heard me.

When he turned to look at me, his face changed to worry and regret. "I'm so sorry, Anna. I never meant to make you cry. I'm just scared, alright? I love you and care about you too much to let you go. Please. I love you." He whispered, wrapping his arms around me and comforting me until my face was dry.

Too soon, he let go and stood up. "Anna, I have to go. I don't want to, but I must. Please. Let me hold your hand as I walk to the door." He reached for my hand and I easily gave it to him.

We walked in silence as we reached my front door. He wrapped his arms around me and I rested my head on his chest while my arms snaked around his torso. He kissed the top of my head, then my forehead, then down to my cheek. We let go of eachother and looked at eachother in the eyes one last time before he left.

" I love you, Anna. You're too important not to be in my life." He whispered as he looked down at me.

"I love you too, Con. With all my heart." I whispered back. And with that he made his way out the door without looking back.

I stood by the doorframe thinking about me and Connor's heart-to-heart conversation. I was dazing in and out and I barely heard my mom call from the kitchen that dinner was ready. I made my way to the kitchen, one foot in front of the other, completely silent. At the dinner table, I barely made any conversation with anyone while my brothers told jokes and stories. I wasn't listening to them either. I was too distracted. The bad feeling inside my stomach wasn't helping the way I was feeling. I played it off making everyone think it was just exhaustion from the days work. But what happened next made me jump in my seat. Everyone at the dinner table fell silent thinking they heard the same thing that I just did. Then it happened again, two very distinct knocks came from the front door from our new guest that wasn't invited.