9: Just the Beginning

-Annabelle-

I sat silently on the sofa. Waiting. Waiting for the worst day of my life to begin. Few whispers escaped my parents who sat accross from my brothers and I, but overall, we were trapped in the gloomy state of silence. Princess Maggie and General Will would be coming to pick us up in nearly 5 minutes. I was counting down the minutes to when my life could be changed forever. My hands shook nervously, as I had a death grip on the edge of the sofa. My eyes were glued to my tan thighs and I tried to control my nervous breathing. Jacob noticed my state and reached to grab one of my hands. He intertwined his fingers with mine and rubbed his large thumb on the top of my hand in a reassuring way. I think he needed comfort from me as much as I needed it from him. I glanced up to meet the glossy eyes of both of my parents. I've never seen my father look so worried and guilty. I gave them both a small smile, trying to reassure them that everything would be fine, as well as I was trying to reassure myself.

"Whatever happens today, I want you all to remain strong. Don't give up. Remember, your mother and I love you all no matter what happens." I heard my father's voice crack at the end, but he coughed to try to cover it up. He closed his eyes to try to compose himself back together. My father cleared his throat once again.

"We will always be here for you. This is one of those situations that you will never be able to control. It will never be your fault." His voice was laced with guilt and sorrow. Every word struck my heart and all I wanted to do was comfort him.

The few seconds he was silent, he was cut off by three distinct knocks at the door. My eyes snapped to my mother when she took in a sharp breath and the tears started to fall out of her eyes. She started to sob when my father wrapped his arms around her and whispered comforting things into her ear. After a few seconds, my father pecked my mother's cheek lightly and left her to go answer the door. She composed herself quickly, wiping her tears and slowing her breathing.

"Your highness. Please come in." I heard my father greet whoever was at the door.

"Thank you, Dennis. I hope your children are ready for this big day." A masculine voice boomed through the house, and made me flinch at the loudness.

My whole body shook violently while I stood up, still gripping Jacob's hand for dear life. Princess Maggie and General Will appeared in the doorway and we all bowed down in respect. Princess Maggie's eyes sparkled in excitement and General Will held a genuine smile that wouldn't give the slight chance of faltering. It made me feel sick.

"Did you get your beauty sleep, Annabelle? You'll need it for the big night." Princess Maggie chuckled and gave me a toothy grin. She really was a gorgeous woman. I'd look up to her in awe if I didn't know about her monster within.

I nodded my head and smiled softly back at her. It was quite the opposite actually. I couldn't sleep with all that was on my mind. Finding my mate, leaving my family, and not being able to see Connor. I was lucky if I was able to get more than three hours of sleep each night.

"Splendid! Well, we really must be going. There's a lot to get done today and so little time to get it done. Say your goodbyes and we'll be on our way." Princess Maggie clapped her hands in glee and turned to whisper something in General Will's ear.

My brothers and I took the time to wrap our parents in hugs and whisper 'I love yous' in their ears. Before I was able to make my way to the door, my father took both my shoulders and captured me in his gaze. His eyes held all seriousness and it scared me the slightest bit.

"Remember what I said, Annabelle. Never, ever, forget what I said. Promise me." His words held panic, like he knew something I didn't.

"Of course, Dad. I promise." I whispered back to him, confused.

"Good. Take care of yourself, Annabelle. I will always love you." He placed a kiss on my cheek and tore away from me, walking over to my mother and snaking an arm around her waist.

I straightened up and swallowed the guilt that was built up in my throat. I walked over and stood by my brothers who were talking to General Will about what was to come.

"Ready?" He asked me, raising an eyebrow. I nodded and we made our way to the limo and climbed in.

Princess Maggie and General Will waved farewell to my parents as we drove off. I caught the last glimpse of my mother who burried her head in my father's shoulder, trying to hide her tears.

Most of the ride consisted of Princess Maggie gloating about the latest drama in the kingdom or who would make an appearance at the ball. I rested my head on Micheal's shoulder as he braided my long hair, he often did to calm his nerves. We were halfway there when I realized we were missing two people from our group.

"Where are Soldier Adam and Soldier Steven?" I interupted Princess Maggie from going on about the most fashionable dresses that would be worn tonight.

General Will sent me a low growl for showing disrespect to his mate, only to have me roll my eyes at his reaction. Princess Maggie was shocked about being interupted but quickly composed herself.

"Oh, well they weren't needed today. We are only needed for you today to escort you to the fashion department, and to escort you to dinner. After the ball, if you have yet to find your mate, you will find this limo, #7, and head home without us. Our driver's name is Tanner." Princess Maggie explained.

I hoped that I would be heading home tonight. The odds of that happening seemed too slim for my liking , but all I could do was wish.

"Has Tanner been our driver this entire time?" I questioned once again because I have yet to see our driver once.

"No, this is the first time Tanner has driven us. Tanner is human but has a beautiful werewolf as a mate.That's why he has the honor of getting this luxury job as a limo driver." Princess Maggie knocked on the window separating us from the driver, and the window was rolled down in seconds.

"Yes, your highness?" A masculine voice spoke with full respect. He sounded around 30 but I could easily be mistaken.

"Annabelle, here, was curious about you."

Tanner turned around for a second to send me a toothy smile. He turned back quickly paying attention to the road. I noticed he was bald and dark brown eyes. His skin was dark african-american, and his sparkling white straight teeth glowed against his tone. He was muscular, but thin, and attractive for his age, which I assumed to be around 30.

"It's a pleasure to make your aquaintance, Annabelle. As well as you two, Micheal and Jacob." His deep voice rang through the car as he continued driving. He was very polite and seemed like an easy guy to talk to.

Tanner rolled his window up once again to leave us to our privacy once again. Princess Maggie started to talk about her brother about him finally being able to find his mate. I tried to ignore her, but I couldn't help feel a little hurt when she talked about his old man-whorish ways. I was confused about why I was feeling this way, and became angry. I shouldn't be feeling this way for his kind, especially when he's the soon to be king. My inner battle with myself didn't help my mood about today.

After multiple hours of driving, we finally came to a stop in the back lot.

"Here we are." Tanner said opening the back door for us to get out. Tanner's 6 foot figure was towering over the car as he held out his hand for Princess Maggie and I. I thanked him for his gentleman ways.

Princess Maggie and General Will guided us to a building that I assumed to the fashion department. To my suprise Tanner left the limo and followed us inside the building. I sent him a questioning glance and he sighed when he caught my gaze.

"My mate works here. It seems as though she got partnered with your brother, Micheal. I want to keep him company and make sure my mate doesn't go overboard. Like she did last time..." He mumbled the last part, hoping I wouldn't be able to hear him.

For the first time today, I let my lips curl up into a smile and a small silent chuckle escape my lips. I stared at the ground and kept walking, hoping he wouldn't catch me smiling.

Tanner continued to stare at me and let his lips turn up into a grin.

"You know, that's the first time I've seen you show the slightest bit of happiness. It looks good on you, you should try it out more often." Tanner joked, bumping against me in a playful manner. I kept silent and tried to replace the smile on my face with a straight line.

We weaved our ways down the hallways of the building, and climbed multiple sets of stairs. General Will engaged in conversation with my brothers, who looked extremely nervous about answering his questions.

"What's your mate like, Tanner?" The words escaped my lips before I could stop them. Tanner stared at me in suprise when he finally heard me speak for the first time.

"She speaks!" He joked once again, and he let out a care-free laugh. I couldn't stop the laugh out of my mouth and the smile that plastered on my face.

"She's beautiful, perfect, funny, understanding... I fully understand now what she meant when she said we were made for eachother when we first met." He seemed so in love by the tone of his words. My mind drew back to Connor, and how we fit together like two peas in a pod.

"But we fought a lot when we first met. I really resented the fact that she was a werewolf and I was a human. I hated her in the beginning. We argued, I tried to run away from her once or twice, and she would punish me every time I did it. But fate always wins in the end. I learned to love her every imperfection and adored her perfections more and more every day." His voice turned soft, almost as if he was hiding something.

I raised my eyebrows as I continued to stare at him. I wanted to know what he was hiding. He looked very uncomfortable as he turned away from me. He stared, almost as if he was zoned out, straight ahead as we continued walking. I dropped the subject and we continued to walk in silence. After a couple minutes of more walking, Tanner's soft voice broke the silence.

"I thought I loved another human, Annabelle. Before I met my mate, all I wanted was the other human. She wanted me as well. I just wanted to feel wanted, and she gave me that. But I left her. How sick is that?" Tanner's voice sounded so broken. I thought he would breakdown as he remembers his past. My thoughts travel to me and Connor. Connor and I's relationship was real. Real love. Wasn't it?

"But it doesn't matter anymore. I have the love of my life. It's over." Tanner shook his head and replaced his gloomy mood.

"You'll be the luckiest girl in the world when you find your mate, Annabelle." He smiled at me and pulled me into a hug. His frame crushed my small one and I felt small. The clearing of someone's throat brought us out of our daze and we pulled away from eachother.

Everyone was stopped in front of three doors, and General Will scrutinized my every move. Tanner went to stand behind Micheal as he whispered something into his ear. Micheal nodded his head and Tanner put both his hands on his shoulders.

"Behind these three doors are your stylists children. Micheal will have Cynthia, Tanner's mate, Jacob will have Xavier, and Annabelle will have Kathleen. Your clothing is already in the dressing room. You will not fight your stylist. You will do whatever they say. That's an order, if I find out you disobeyed me, you will be punished." He continued, growling. "Princess Maggie and I will be back in four hours to take you to dinner. Be prepared." He nodded his head and gestured for us to make our way through our designated doors.

I opened my doors to be greeted with 28-year old 5 foot 5 inches, woman. She had rectangular glasses on and long black hair that reached her waist in natural curls. Her perfectly toned body curved in all the right places. She didn't even pay attention when I walked in, and continued to look through her paperwork.

"Um. I'm Annabe-" I started only to be cut of shortly.

"I know who you are, and you know who I am, so there is no need for introductions." She spat with venom. She didn't even look up from the paperwork she was looking through. I swallowed and shuffled on my feet awkwardly, not knowing what to do.

"Go undress, leave nothing on, and put the white robe on in the corner." She instructed, pointing to the robe hanging on a hook.

I shuffled over to the robe and looked around for a place to dress. My cheeks reddened when I realized there was no changing room or curtain to go behind.

"Uh-"

Kathleen glanced up from her paperwork and stared at me annoyed.

"What are you waiting for? There's nothing to hide. I'll see it all in time, and your wasting it. " She spat. I learned quickly that this woman wasn't very patient.