Nightmare

I grunted as I shifted in the bed. It was the middle of the night. I was tired and groggy, but sleep was my enemy tonight. After waking to what sounded like elk running into a tree, I couldn't fall back asleep. We had moved outside of Falkreath, next to a lake, about a month ago and I was still not use to the outside noise as I slept.

As I lied there, I heard soft footsteps on the wooden floor as someone walked into the room. "Papa", I heard a small voice call out. I rolled over to see Lucia standing near the edge of the bed. Once my eyes had adjusted to the lack of light I noticed she was clutching her doll and her light brown hair was a mess. She must not have been sleeping well either.

"What's wrong?" I asked sitting up, rubbing the sleep from my eyes.

"I had a nightmare" she answered, her voice shaking. She looked up to me with her brown eyes, as if she was about to cry.

Why couldn't Nelcara have stayed home? She was much better at dealing with this kind of thing. But no, she needed to go take care of a war council. She hadn't been too pleased about that, "Yes, let me stop in the middle of trying to deal with Alduin, the world eater, so I can deal with your problem" So, now I was here with our daughter, an 8 year old nord, with no idea what to do.

"The dragons got Mama and then came after everyone." she sniffed, trying not to cry. "She told me to be brave. But I'm scared."

"Only a fool is unafraid of their enemies. The right amount of fear keeps you alert and safe." I reached out brushing the hair out of her face. I don't know how she managed to see past it. "Use your fear to be brave."

"So Mama's gonna be okay?" Now that was a question I asked myself. Nelcara was an extraordinary mage who could definitely hold her own in battle. I had every confidence in her. I'd never doubt her skill or intelligence. But unexpected things can happen, ambushes or betrayals. I knew she'd do everything in her power to get home. But from time to time I did worry.

"She's going to be fine."

She rubbed her eyes with the back of her arm, "C-can I stay with you tonight?" She looked up at me with a pleading look. Had Nelcara taught her that? Or did all females know it?

"Come on" I said. She held on to the side of the bed, trying to climb up it. But the bed was too tall. I picked her up, placing her beside me. "Thanks, Papa", she said leaning over to hug me. She got under the blankets, making herself comfortable, and cuddled up beside me. This left me in a very uncomfortable position. I was still half sitting up, with my back to the bed frame, and near the edge of the bed. Of course, she was sound asleep in five minutes. Despite the annoyance I couldn't help but slightly smile to myself. "Just like your mother."

"Move or get burned. I'm putting this in the water." I instructed Lucia, as she preceded to move to my side. She had shown interest in learning how to forge and make weapons not long after she moved in with us. While working for the Jarl in Markarth, I had to take her with me several times. Nelcara wasn't too keen on having her walk around the city, despite my claims that dangerous cities made strong children. I thought Lucia would be thoroughly bored, but she enjoyed watching. So, I offered to teach her. She'd had gotten quite excited. I could remember the face she made, all smiles. "Really Papa?" she said, as if I had been teasing her. She was a good student and quick to learn.

As I dunked the hot blade into the water I heard the yelp of pain. I quickly looked to Lucia, who had moved closer to see. Anger and concern passed through me all at once. I told you to move! Are you okay? My feelings must have surfaced to my face because Lucia dropped her head and lowered her eyes, more upset then hurt. I left the blade and kneeled down to look at her. A small ember and some boiling water had caught her on her right arm. It probably hurt, but wouldn't cause any large damage. Well, at least now she had learned a lesson.

"Are you all right?" I asked as I took a cold cloth to her arm.

She looked up at me with a straight calm face despite the tears that had started forming. "It doesn't hurt."

She was obviously lying. But she was trying to fight it.

And then she got this look, as if she just remembered something. Her eyes got wider and she frowned, "Do..do we have to stop now?"

I laughed to myself. You had to admire her commitment. "No, but let's bandage that burn." I said, pushing her by the shoulder towards the house.

"Okay...I'm sorry Papa...I got excited. I just wanted to see", she explained.

"And now we know to listen and where not to stand" I scolded.

She nodded.

"And most importantly" I said as I placed my thumb under her chin, moving her to look me eye to eye. "We always think before we act. Don't let excitement or anything else overrule your brain"

She nodded timidly, a bit ashamed. And more softly I said, "You're clever. I know you can do that."

She smiled before wrapping me in a hug,