2

"COME BACK HERE!!!" A shrill shriek echoed from the rapidly shrinking room. She climbed out of the toy box, and ran out of the house. She stumbled through the crayon path, desperately trying to find the exit.

She was terrified of the thought of him catching up. She had to find a hiding place, she thought as she ran. A staircase was at the base of the town, and she bolted up on it without a second thought. The staircase began the spiral left, then right, then up, and eventually split into three ways. She tried to stop running, causing her to trip and crash onto the ground. She looked up at her three choices.

The left path seemed to lead into a forest made of different colors of wire with occasional sparks of electricity running through certain wires. The right path lead into pitch black darkness. The middle path lead back to the maze of hallways. She needed to hide from Garry, so she got herself back up and ran as fast as she could into the darkness of the right path. As soon as she ran in however, the stairs behind her melted straight away into nonexistence. The darkness then immediately consumed the space around her, only leaving her with a path of glowing red stones that seemed to lead into a larger area.

She followed the path, and realized the larger area was the entrance of a humongous cave. It was made from the red stones she followed, however quite dimmer. She clutched her rose in her pocket, and went into the cave. Inside was something she did not expect. A silhouette of a small lush cottage sat at the center of the cavern, hidden behind a thick veil of a large waterfall. She walked to the water, and ran her finger through it.

"Oww! Hothothot!" She retracted her finger, putting it in her mouth to cool down. The water was scalding. She searched her surroundings for something to take cover under, but found nothing. She groaned, sitting down against the red stone wall. She thought about what had happened. Mary. A happy, cheerful girl who never stopped smiling. Ib. A sweet, cautious girl who was brave even at times of peril. The woman smiled tearfully, remembering the comfort they gave her.

Garry. A supposedly kind, determined man who always protected the two girls, but then murdered them in cold heartless blood. She sobbed, hot tears dripping down her cheeks. What could she do now? Even if he didn't find her, she'd surely starve to death or get attacked by monsters. So what could she do!?

"GAAHHH!!!" She screamed in frustration, pounding her head against the stone. Maybe she could die quicker by cracking her head open, but her skull showed no signs of damage. She rubbed her injured arm. The blood was starting to dry, creating a large crusty bruise along its side. "Dammit!" She hissed, accidentally rubbing hard on an especially tender spot. She needed SOME kind of cover to cross that damned waterfall! But, what if she just made a run for it? She gulped, imagining the third degree burns she would get if she tried. However, that was her only option. Or maybe taking off her clothes and using THAT as a shield... Well, it wasn't as if anyone could see her, and that could probably protect her for a second against the water by putting it above her head like an umbrella...

"That'll have to work." She grumbled, taking off her white dress and folding it to make protective layers. She made sure it was wide enough, though. "Let's do this." She took a deep breath, and dashed towards the water. For a split second her dress soaked the water in, but then went through and started pouring onto her. Some splashed onto her arm, steam rising from it and liquefying the crusty blood. "GAAAHHH!" She screamed, finally exiting the water. She panted heavily, her body covered in stinging burns from the waterfall. Her dress was too hot to carry anymore, so she set it aside. Besides, she had a tank top underneath so it wasn't that bad.

She looked up at the cottage. It was a lot larger than she expected, and greener. The front door was open and a dim light glowed from inside. She made sure her dress was cool enough to handle before wringing the hot water out. Once she deemed it to be dry enough, she put it back on. Suddenly, she remembered about her rose. "Crud!" She searched through her dress pocket, and found it. She took it out. It was somehow perfectly dry, still retaining its silvery tint. She sighed in relief.