Four

Luke's POV

I slowly woke up, my eyes blinking—adjusting to the dark room I am in. "Where am I? Why am I here?" I thought. Then a bigger question came into my head. "Who am I?"

I just notice that I am hooked up to monitors, a faint beeping sound coming from a dark screen with a bunch of numbers and a heart beat. I lean forward to sit up, but regret doing so instantly. A sharp pain shoots up my body out of no where. I wince, but don't react, too stunned to do anything else.

I hear soft snores coming from a chair near the corner of the room, right next to a huge floor to ceiling window. A girl was there, her head resting on one of the metal window panes that create a nice symmetrical square grid. Her hair looked like a dark brown, but on some places the moon shined it made it look like it was dark blonde. Her hair was shiny and wavy, like if it'd been wet. "Who are you?" I thought.

The girl's head shifted, she was waking up. She rubbed her eyes before noticing I'm there. "Oh my God." She whispered. "Luke."

"Huh? Luke? Who is Luke?" I asked, then realised. "Shit. Am I Luke?" The girl came closer to me and I noticed how naturally pretty she was. She gripped the metal side bars of the bed I lay on and gazed at me. Analysing every single piece of my unknown face. Was she starring at a broken face or a secure face? Did I have dark or light eyes, skin? Nonetheless, my eyes never leave hers.

She took a deep breath. "Are you feeling well?" I nod. "What do you remember?"

I don't brake eye contact. It's comforting. Stuttering, I answer, "I-I don't remember anything. Why am I here? Di-did something bad happen? Who am I? Who are you?"

Her pitch brown eyes soften, and I swear they turned two shades lighter. "The truth is," She begins, leaning down to get closer to me, "I don't know anything about you. You're just as a big of a mystery as I am to you."

No, I wanted to say. I am a bigger mystery to myself as you are to me. Instead I say, "Why do I feel like we have known each other forever?"

She chuckles, shaking her pretty little head. Well, her head's not really little, it's just a saying. However, she is pretty. Really pretty. "I met you last night. Probably the first and only time I've ever seen your face before."

I try to remember something, anything. But I cannot. Not even the beautiful girl before me's name. What happened last night? All I think back to is black, unknown, painted over with cement. "To be quite honest with you, I would definitely remember a face like yours." I frown, "But I cannot seem to remember-"

Pain shoots through my body as I am violently shaking, having no control over my body.

Allison.

The name appears out of no where, existing in my memory, never leaving. It feels like there's something in my head just screaming the name. Just then something else appeared, not the shit ton of doctors and nurses rushing into the room, but a memory.

"I don't know who you are, and you probably don't know me either, but I do know that you had a life before this. I hope everything was well."

Is the pretty girl that woke up in my room named Allison? Everything around me stopped. I settled into darkness. Coldness spread through my whole being. Ice in my veins, probably in my head too. Life was close, but so far away.