The Day We Met

___________________________
NAIA International Airport
July 16, 2017

Maine
Flight Purser: Maine, you're assigned to seats in this section (points to the right side of the business class section).
M: Yes, mam.
FP: Jessica... (voice of purser drones on as she moves to the other attendants)

Maine no longer listened to the purser after she moved on to the other attendants. She's usually more attentive, but this time, she can't contain her excitement because of two things:
1. They're flying to New York, her favorite city in the whole world;
2. She'll be on vacation for a week revisiting the places she loved, most especially Central Park.

Why Central Park, out of all the places in New York? It's a piece of heaven in the middle of a busy city. In the times that she wants to take a break from the hustle and bustle of New York, it provides a place where you can commune with nature, even if you're in the middle of a concrete jungle.

Truth be told though, she also loves it because it was one of the places featured in one of her favorite films: Serendipity. Yeah, she's a romantic at heart, although no one would ever dare tell that to her face.

FP:... Maine? Miss Mendoza, did you hear what I said?
M: (turns to FP with a sheepish smile) I'm sorry mam, I didn't hear it. I was just thinking of the preps I need to make for the passengers I'm assigned to. (crosses her fingers at her back)

FP looks disbelieving at her. At the end, she decides to ignore it in the interest of time.
FP: As I was saying, a well-known personality will be seated at your area. Please make sure he is well taken care of.
M: Yes, mam. May I ask who that personality is?
FP: Of course. He's listed under his real name under the manifest but his screen name is Alden Richards.

Rj
MT: Uy Rj, ready ka na ba? Wala ka na bang ipapadagdag sa mga dadalhin natin?
R: Wala na, Nay, kumpleto na. Kung may kulang man sa dala natin, pwede naman tayong bumili sa New York.
MT: Tara na, baka ma-traffic pa tayo kahit dito lang tayo sa condo manggagaling.
R: (dons his Ray-Ban shades) Ok, ready na ako.

When they reached the airport service, Mama Ten and Rj settled in while the driver loaded their luggage.

Rj is excited with this trip. He's been working quite hard for the past few months and this trip allows him some time to share happiness with Filipinos abroad and at the same time, go on a "vacation" for a few days.

Vacation - hah. He's never had a real vacation in a long time. He's usually followed around by reporters or fans even on time spent with his family. Hopefully this time, he can don a disguise and go around New York by himself.

He's a nature lover - he hopes to spend some time walking around Central Park. It's the closest thing to nature that he can think of right within the center of New York. Probably best to visit around dusk though so he won't be easily recognized by fans.

Hey, he loves his fans - he's truly grateful for the blessings he's received because of their support. But... there are just times when you would rather be alone, you know? Rj laughed at himself with this thought. Alone in a city with a million people? Hah, dream on, Rj.

Rj was snapped out of his musings by Mama Ten.
MT: Dito na tayo, Rj. Tara, check-in na tayo then diretso na sa lounge while waiting for boarding.
R: Okay, sana sandali na lang bago mag-boarding sa eroplano. Matutulog lang ako sa majority ng flight! Best part of travelling business class - makakatulog nang mas maayos kesa economy.
MT: *mutters* Ikaw din kasi ang ayaw magpahinga, pwede naman sana.

Rj heard what Mama Ten said but chose to ignore it. This year, he can slow things down a bit. Riza finished her studies last year. His house in Nuvali has also been finished and fuly furnished. Now, he's starting on the apartments that he planned as an investment. As for Angel, he has started an investment fund for her - he'll let compounding interest work its magic.

He was lost in his thoughts once more when Mama Ten called his attention.
MT: Pwede na daw tayo mag-board. Pahuli ba tayo or una na lang?
R: Pahuli na lang, para hindi na ako masyado mainip. Alam mo naman na hindi ako mapakali na nakaupo lang.

Rj has always been fidgety. He can't stand staying or sitting still for a long time. He'll be cooped up in the plane for 19 hours; might as well move around until they really need to board.

  They waited until the last minute to board. As they were walking on the bridge, he was busy sending a message to Daddy Bae and wasn't looking at where he was going.

He hit something - no, make that someone - with a soft thud. He leaned forward, automatically grabbed on to the person, and found slim, soft arms.

He looked up and found himself staring into the most beautiful brown eyes he's ever seen. Those eyes are now looking at him with worry.

M: Hello Mr. Faulkerson, I am truly sorry about what happened! Are you ok, sir?
R: Um, um, yes, I'm okay... What about you, miss...? (I'm totally not fishing for her name)

M: I'm totally fine, sir!
She gave a stunningly genuine smile and offered her hand.
M: By the way, I'm Maine Mendoza, and I'll be your cabin attendant for this flight.