eight

Liam avoids Zayn, as does the latter.

He shouldn't be, honestly. Liam, that is. He's being a coward, he needs to man up and march to the cafe and apologize. But, that's it, innit? He's a bloody coward.

Niall whines and he cries more. The little blonde baby misses his friend, he misses Zayn. He fusses and he throws tantrums in hopes that his Daddy would take sympathy upon him and take him to his favorite cafe and favorite person for his favorite banana muffin. But Liam is stubborn and persistent, not to mention, scared.

He's scared that Zayn will shun him and wouldn't want anything to do with him, and Liam can't have that even if he deserves it. Not when he's finally let his guard down and has developed genuine feelings for the raven haired lad.

So, Liam basks in a twisted dilemma, trying to make up his bloody mind, on whether to go and apologize, fight for Zayn or stay a coward and lock himself up in his walls with a fussy toddler. And, though, he's tempted to lean towards the uneasy latter, he knows that the former is the right thing to do, even if it could possibly tear his heart apart again.

-

Zayn cries and he whimpers and then cries some more. It's a pathetic cycle, really. He shouldn't be hung up on a person who he just went out with once. But that's it, innit? It's not any other person, it's Liam, the man he had a infatuation with and crush on since high school.

He knows Liam's backstory, about how his girlfriend left him with Niall for a man much older than her, and he knows that Liam won't open up to him so early. But, Zayn had made up his mind on being patient, he would wait, he would show Liam he was there for him, through everything. Yet, Liam had hurt him in a way Zayn thought would never have been possible.

Harry and Louis had explained that Liam was in no state of a sober mind when he went and shagged the man, he was intoxicated and drunk. Even Louis admitted- sheepishly, even- that it was his fault for dragging to Liam to a club in his tired state and offer him a drink even though he knew that Liam completely loses control of his actions after one shot. Must be because of how much of a light drinker he is, due to his responsibilities and Niall, but that doesn't mean that Zayn's hurt persona would lessen.

So, Zayn basks in heartbreak and drowns himself with his work. He waits for Liam to saunter through the cafe door every day with a toddler he's so fond of, perched upon his hip. He even makes Harry bake Niall's favorite banana muffin each day, beforehand, and he keeps the ingredients for Liam's coffee ready for the go, but they stay there, neglected. Liam doesn't come, neither does Niall, and after waiting for 3 weeks, Zayn loses hope.

-

It's after a month that Liam thinks he has mustered up enough courage to face Zayn.

He straps up a giddy Niall in his car seat before he can change his mind and, reluctantly, drives off towards the cafe.

Liam's hands are sweaty as he carries Niall- a giggling mess- towards the cafe door, and his mind is a swirl of 'what ifs', dubious thoughts seeping through the small amount of hope occupying his brain.

Nonetheless, he exhales softly and enters the cafe, setting Niall on the floor. The toddler bounds towards the counter and ducks beneath it, rushing into the kitchen. And Liam's about to protest and scold him, until his ears perk up as an excited squeal quips up from the kitchen, and Zayn comes out, holding a red Niall, peppering kisses all over his face.

"I missed you, buddy." Zayn smiled, his lips pressed upon Niall's forehead.

"Miss 'ou too! Daddy too!" Niall giggled, pointing towards Liam, standing sheepishly near the door.

Zayn's eyes turned hard and he averted his gaze from Liam, the latter gulping.

"Can we talk?" Liam asked softly, his voice clipped yet hopeful. Zayn had half the mind to protest and decline his offer, but then he felt Harry's comforting hand on his shoulder, his smile urging him on.

Zayn sighed and nodded, rolling his eyes when he saw Liam's face light up and he passed Niall to Harry, who was all to glad to oblige to being held by his crush, even if his Uncle Tommo had stolen him away. He had made sure to pinch Louis' cheek extra hard the other day, just for that.

Zayn gestured towards the back door with his head and Liam took the hinted invitation, scurrying over towards the back. He waited for Zayn to catch up, and once he did, his heart hammered against his chest when he noticed Zayn's red rimmed eyes. He had been crying over Liam's pathetic ass.

"I'm sorry." Liam stated, straight forward and urgent, "I know sorry doesn't cut it, Zayn, but I am. And I just want your forgiveness, and maybe, we can start over? Please?"

Zayn stayed quiet for a moment and Liam's mind filled itself with negative thoughts.

"You hurt me." Zayn stated, softly and quietly, barely audible, and Liam had strain his ears to catch his words.

"I know! And I'm seriously, very sorry for that. I didn't mean to and I was drunk, and--"

Zayn cut Liam off, "You still hurt me."

And then, Liam, being known for his short temper, loses it.

"I know, Zayn! Fuck, we aren't even together, why are you taking this so harshly!?"Liam yelled, before quietening down, his eyes softening once he noticed Zayn release a whimper.

"You know what, Liam?" Zayn muttered angrily, not giving Liam time to recover from his angry outburst to apologize, "I'm a stupid idiot, yeah? Of course, we aren't even together, this meant nothing, right? Fuck you." And with that, Zayn pushed Liam firmly at his chest, the brunette stumbling back with a wince as he watched Zayn run off with a sad frown.

-

~Harry