Defenders (12)

At first, we had thought that we were going to go on our first real mission the next morning. We were wrong.

We had to wait weeks. Two weeks, to be exact. Aiden definitely wasn't happy about this.

"You said you thought we were ready for a real mission," Aiden practically whined in the meeting room exactly two weeks after our successful training session. "But all we've done since then is even more training!"

Nay rolled her eyes at him. "We just wanted to make sure that you guys were ready," she informed him, and then looked at Hank, who nodded. "And now, we think you're really ready to go out on a real mission."

None of us were that excited, mostly because we still weren't sure if we were really going to go on a mission or not. Last time they had said that we would, we waited two weeks.

But Nay looked like she was telling the truth, so I couldn't help but feel a little excited about it. We had been training so hard, and now we were finally going to be able to show just how hard we worked.

"According to a few sources," Nay began, "there's going to be a bank robbery today at one o'clock. We want the five of you to be in the bank to stop it."

At first, I didn't exactly know how to react to this. That was actually very serious, especially for a first mission. I almost expected that they'd make us look for a lost dog or go stop teenagers from jaywalking. But no, we had to stop a robbery.

"It's supposed to happen in an hour," Hank told us now. "In a few minutes, RV will take you to the bank where it's supposed to take place."

This was dangerous, but I knew I should have expected as much. In this business, you fought to protect the world, and if you died or got hurt, at least you did while fighting to protect the planet. That was what my parents had done.

"Wait," I voiced now, a question coming to my mind.

Nay stopped. "Yes, Violet?"

"Humans can't know we exist, right?" I questioned, cupping my elbow and shuffling my feet a little. Nay nodded at me, so I continued. "Well, if they can't know about us, and they still don't know that we exist, how are we supposed to fight a human robber in front of other possible humans?"

Hank grinned at Nay. "Finally, one of them asked."

Nay let out a sigh, taking a seat at one of the many tables in the room. "Well," she started, looking up at the ceiling and thinking for a few moments. "This may be kind of hard to explain."

We waited. It may have been hard to explain, but I knew that it was something we were supposed to know. Whatever it was, it was important.

"On every team, there is someone who can erase the memories of humans, and only humans," Nay began, still staring up at the ceiling. "Not every one of our kind can erase memories, and the Director makes sure that he puts someone on every team that can. That way, if you run into a human who sees something they shouldn't have, you can knock them out and erase their memories of it. And if they somehow do remember anything about it, it feels like it was a dream to them."

That was crazy. I was learning more and more about the DAU every day...

"So which one of us can do it?" Dex asked the question that was on all our minds.

"Well, we're not sure yet," Hank now explained. "Since no one has ever seen the Director, it's not like he can tell anyone. The only way you can find out is by trying to erase a human's memory, but if it's you and you don't know how to do it correctly, you can wipe their mind completely and they'll forget everything. Who they are, who their family is... All of it."